1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Kimber

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dons2346, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a Kimber, model unknown, I just know that someone wants to sell. I have read that some models do not feed well and that work is needed. I don't mind having work done but would like to know which are the ones that need a little assistance as this might help in the bargaining process
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Geez...this is a pretty vague question. I think that any 1911 needs work and some feed better than others. I have a Kimber Custom II that was pretty finicky to begin, but after 300 or 400 rounds, it pretty much eats anything that I feed it....primarily my different reloads.

I have a Rock Island 1911 that pretty much will only feed factory round ball ammo.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Kimbers are usually regarded as one of the best production 1911 type pistols.
  4. dons2346

Ok, thanks. It looks like any Kimber is a good deal, so if the price is right, I'll take it.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think maybe what you have heard is that the smaller 1911s are a little less reliable than the full size 1911s. The recoil springs wear out faster and cause reliability issues.
    If you are looking for reliability...get the full size one.

mike
    gn
  6. dons2346

Ok, thanks.
  7. USMARINE1884

USMARINE1884 New Member

Well a good deal on any 1911 can be a great investment with a little TLC. I picked up a Kimber gold match II from someone who had it and just didnt know much about 1911 pistols. It was filthy and was being used with inferior magazines and the user was having many issues. After some cleaning and slapping a wilson combat magazine in there it was shooting like a champ. I spent 775 in the pistol that they spent almost 1200 on. I consider that a great investment. Let us know the model and condition and share a few pics when you get a chance. I only own 5 1911's and 4 are Kimber my favorite is my Desert Warrior.
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

Well, it's time for me to break down and buy a pistol. They are not foreign to me, but I've just never owned one. My research has lead me to favor the Kimber Compact CDP II .45 ACP.

I did take the time to try out a 9mm, but the recoil of a .45 isn't that much greater...and I pretty much respect the size of the hole a little more...and God forbid, the situation ever arose, I would need the incident to be concluded quickly.

The only issue I have is the wide magazine well. I realize .45 cal ammunition is larger than 9mm, but my thumb does not reach the slide release. I think I might have small hands.

I'm wondering if there are any negative characteristics of this pistol that may dissuade me because I have not had the opportunity to fire this paticular make. It sure is sweet looking though.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Maybe it was a fluke but my factory new kimber utra carry 2 was a reliability nightmare. I brought it back to the shop I bought it from and the shop owner could not believe it! He fired 100 rounds and the gun would not fire a full mag without misfeeding, stovepiping or the round not going fully into battery. Covered 5 brands of ammo and 500 rds break in with deep cleanings and a ramp polish. Sold it the next week, what a bad taste I have for Kimber!
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I had an old Colt Series 80 officers model 45acp that was like that. It was horrible! I got rid of it...

I now have 2 Colt Commanders. Both are very reliable and the lightweight commander if my favorite of everything in my safe.

I do like the grips on the kimbers. That front checkering or whatever its called really aids in keeping a good grip on the gun.

mike
    gn
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've never understood that.

Buy a gun. It doesn't work. Try everything you are supposed to with a new gun. Clean it. Shoot hundreds of rounds to "break it in". Replace the magazine. Still doesn't work. "So I sold it." Hell with that. Box it up, ship it back. "Hey, Kimber, fix this piece of junk".

No matter how good you are, or what you make, eventually a piece of crap is going to make it through QA. Companies want to take care of that. I've got a Kimber. Great gun. Shoot it and enjoy it. Never tell people what a great gun Kimber is, though. I've got a Charter Arms (it came used, as part of a multi-gun deal). Piece of junk. I tell people what a piece of garbage it is. If Charter would fix it, on their dime, instead of my telling folks what a piece of junk it is, I'd be tellin' folks what a great company Charter is, taking care of their "oops" like that.

If you had sent it back, they would have fixed it. Then, instead of you telling people about your bad luck with Kimber, you'd be telling them about how great Kimber is.
  12. dons2346

The guy I was going to get the Kimber from came into an influx of cash so now he doesn't need to sell. Bummer. I'll keep looking, one day I'll get a 45.