Kinber Warranty

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by durk, Nov 14, 2006.

1. durk

durk New Member

I am thinking of buying a kimber 1911 but the warranty surprised me somewhat. I am pretty new at buying guns so I might be way off base thinking that the warranty should be, IMO better or longer. Is this the norm?
    I noticed that Taurus has a lifetime warranty. That's my kinda warranty. I know allot of folks on this forum own kimbers & I don't mean to step on anyones toes but if these guns are so good why does the mfg. not stand behind them a little more? When I bought my new Honda I was asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I said why, these cars are supposed to last forever, right? Then I said no to the $$$$ extended warranty. Have many of you guys & gals had to send their guns back to kimber after the one year warranty was up or do these guns not need a long warranty? I really want one or more of these guns. Maybe, if something is going to go wrong it will go wrong within the one year?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Durk:

Have you seen the new Taurus 1911 model. It comes with all the features you pay premium bucks for in a Kimber, has the lifetime warrantee, and cost in the under $600 range. This kind of gun if it shoots well will certainly hurt Kimber sales. I had a Taurus PT99 for years with no problems except for the rear sight whose blade kept coming off until I "fixed "it properly. Taurus makes good guns! If I were in the market for a 1911 I'd sure investigate it!

LDBennett
  3. Taurus has certainly come a very long way over the last few years, LD. If they keep up the way they are going, they will definitely be giving Smith, Ruger, Kimber, and others a run for their money. The ones I've purchased have all proven to be highly servicable weapons.
  4. durk

durk New Member

Do you mean custom shop type features? Thanks, I'll try to read-up on the Taurus. I think I read a range report on the Taurus 1911 on another thread but can't remember who posted. I think they called it there 2nd favorite gun now.
  5. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

LD:

I've got one and I love it! It shoorts like a dream and I only paid $515.00. I highly recommend it.

Pat Hurley
  6. durk

durk New Member

Is that the 5 inch barrel?
  7. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Affirmative.
  8. durk

durk New Member

Does Taurus have the 1911 in the 4 inch barrel? I have been looking at the Kimber compact & pro cdp II guns. I'm going to be using this gun as a concealed carry weapon (part time) and if I get the notion, I could deer hunt with it as Oklahoma law will let me use a .45 acp as long as the barrel is at least 4 inches.
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Springfield has a lifetime warranty and they are affordable.
    As far as Kimber they know they will sell regardless of lifetime waranty so why offer it
  10. durk

durk New Member

Hmmmm. What to do?
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

"Do you mean custom shop type features?"

If it were a Colt those features would indeed be Custom Shop features. Some Kimber and Springfield models offer these features as standared but the pricing reflects it. The latest Taurus adds lists 19 gunsmith installed "custom" features worth in their estimate $1600. They claim the value of their gun is $2100 if you start with a basic 1911 for $500. And their price is $600.

Does the gun measure up to a Kimber or a Springfield? Only time will tell. I was always told that there is no such thing as a free lunch. We'll just have to wait and see or take the plunge and be part of the evaluation process of Taurus's 1911.

LDBennett
  12. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

OK, I'll weigh in with a real life personal experience with Kimber's warranty. I bought a Custom Shop Eclipse Pkg Ultra many years ago. The gun had been on the dealers shelf for quite some time. I picked it up for the price of a std Ultra essentially. Kept, carried, and shot the pistol for over a year. Noticed that the front night sight went dim. Called Kimber and explained the issue and asked what to do. I gave them nothing but serial number info and expected to be quoted a repair price of some sort. Instead I recieved a return authorization number for the slide. Boxed it up and sent it to them. Got it back in about 2 weeks - no bill, all fixed. Called and asked about the repair and was told "it should have lasted longer, its on us." They even paid for the return shipping, so all I was out was the postage to them.

Generally, my experience with all firearms manufacturers is that they stand behind thier products regardless of what the warrantly actually says as long as the issue is not caused by abuse.
  13. durk

durk New Member

Very good to know.:)