King Nitro 10 ga. double barrell

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by populoru, Feb 13, 2007.

1. populoru

populoru New Member

Just got three guns.
    Marlin 1893 38-55 six sided barrell hexagon?
    Winchester 1873 .32 six sided barrell hexagon?
    King Nitro double barrell 10 ga. On this shotgun is- on left stock Bill Evans spec. agent Memphis-Fort Worth, on right stock Wells Fargo Express. On slim part of stock is copper? plate property of Wells Fargo & co. San Fransisco. On barrell is W F same on bottom of barrell. There is also some nice scrollwork designs. Stock no. same on all parts of gun 13744.
    Any help is most helpful.
    All three are in great shape.
    Am curious as to worth.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. Welcome to TFF, populoru. Glad to have you aboard the TFF choo choo! :)

King Nitro was a "house brand" name used by Shapleigh Hardware Company of St Louis for many years. Circa 1920-1940 their double barrel shotguns were Stevens model 315s but marked with the King Nitro name. Other makers may have made guns for them at different times. I have no idea what the gun might be worth today, but I doubt the value would be terribly high. During that same period rebranded firearms were very common. Hope this helps at least little.
  3. populoru

populoru New Member

Thanks for the welcome and info!
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi populoru.........welcome to TFF. :)

Well, I disagree on the King Nitro. It's an inexpensive brand, but the Wells Fargo markings (if genuine.....be careful, there are a lot of fakes out there) move it into the definitely collectable category. I have no idea of the value of this shotgun, but it should be looked at by an expert.

On the Marlin and the Winnie.....need to know the condition (approximate % of original finish left), whether a rifle or carbine, and serial #s.

On the Marlin.....if it's a carbine, does it have straight or pistol grip stock? Does it have a saddle ring.

On the 1873....should be octagon not hexagon barrel.

Can you post pictures of both rifles.....full length right and left profile?
  5. Interesting, X. One of the things I like so much about TFF is that ya learn something new everyday. I had heard of the King Nitros as rebranded guns before, but that Wells Fargo angle is a new one on me. Do you think it could indicate a gun actually purchased by WF for their own use, or is it more likely something added by the manufacturer, at the request of the rebrander, to make the gun look more "cool" and thus more marketable?
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I believe Wells Fargo marked their own guns.

Where did you get the 1920-1940 date? My info merely states:

KING NITRO Tradename used by J. Stevens Arms Company on rifles and shotguns.
    KING NITRO Tradename used by Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis, Missouri on shotguns made by Crescent Fire Arms Company.

If this shotgun was used by Wells Fargo in the 1920-1940 timeframe, it would still be a collector's item, but of less value than one used during the stagecoach era.
  7. Actually, X, I ran across it somewhere on the Net (can't remember where exactly) when I was researching something else. I think it was on one of the auction sites that gave a "blip" about the background of a gun they had for sale, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, it does sound like an interesting gun, but then, aren't they all? :D
  8. populoru

populoru New Member

Great help! I've been searching a bit, and found several makers. W.H. Davenport, Ivan Johnson Arms, Stevens, Crescent Arms, H&D Folsum, Hopkins & Allen.
    Be happy to post picture of gun to you. Thanks again!
  9. Goody

Goody Member

I find this posted at oldguns.net

"# 2044 - Shotgun, King Nitro
    4/20/99

Maker Model Caliber Barrel Length Finish Serial Number
    King Nitro Unknown 10-gauge Unknown Unknown Unknown

My brother is looking for any information you might be able to provide on a shotgun that belonged to our grandfather. It is a 10-gauge, double-barrel w/hammers (side-by-side), King Nitro model that breaks down into three pieces, has 30" barrels, and the serial number on it is 17501. He is interested in any information you can provide on this specific brand/model of shotgun. Thank you for help you can give.

Answer:
    Sir- King Nitor was a "house brand" name used by Shapleigh Hardware Company of St Louis for many years. Circa 1920-1940 their double barrel shotguns were Stevens model 315 but marked with the King Nitro name. Other makers may have made guns for them at different times. Charles Carder's excellent "Side By Sides of the World" is the source of this information. John Spangler"