King Nitro Model 812

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Joe F. Watson, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Joe F. Watson

Joe F. Watson New Member

I have a line on a King Nitro Model 812 Single Shot 12 Gauge Shotgun with an octagon barrell. I can't seem to find much information about this weapon. It has been nickeled and is very ornate. No serial number that I can find. I have been told that these weapons were made for Sears by several different manufacturers. Can anyone give me any info or maybe give me an approximate value for this weapon.

Thanks,
    Joe F. Watson
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

King Nitro was a trade name used by Shapleigh Hardware, of St. Louis, MO, on shotguns made by Crescent Firearms Co.

Crescent was a decent, inexpensive gun. They started making guns around 1890. The company was bought by Stevens Arms in 1926, which was in turn bought by Savage in 1936. Unless there is something really special about it, you have a 50 to 60 dollar gun.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As a rule these were inexpensive utilitarian "working " shotguns. I don't think I've seen a King Nitro shotgun with a octagon barrel, much less one nickeled and gussied up. I don't beleive it left the Hardware store like that
  4. Joe F. Watson

Joe F. Watson New Member

Thanks for the info. A friend of mine has the weapon and I have never heard of one of these. I have received similar information from other sources and truly believe you know what you are talking about.

I am an FFL and an Auctioneer. We sell quite a few firearms at auction and I believe I could probably get several hundred dollars for this weapon because of the octagonal barrell.

He tells me that his father-in-law had the weapon nickeled in the early 70's. I personally feel that this devalued the weapon to some degree. However, I also believe that the "eye appeal" of the weapon alone would make it bring a good price at public auction.

If you have any other information or references regarding this firearm, I would much appreciate you sharing it with me.

Thanks,
    Joe F. Watson
  5. Joe F. Watson

Joe F. Watson New Member

Thanks for the info. A friend of mine has the weapon and I have never heard of one of these. I have received similar information from other sources and truly believe you know what you are talking about.

I am an FFL and an Auctioneer. We sell quite a few firearms at auction and I believe I could probably get several hundred dollars for this weapon because of the octagonal barrell.

He tells me that his father-in-law had the weapon nickeled in the early 70's. I personally feel that this devalued the weapon to some degree. However, I also believe that the "eye appeal" of the weapon alone would make it bring a good price at public auction.

If you have any other information or references regarding this firearm, I would much appreciate you sharing it with me.

Thanks,
    Joe F. Watson
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You may want to check and make sure it's a shotgun. It would not be unusual for someone to use a Crescent frame, and install a octagon rifle barrel on it. In fact with that octagon barrel that would be my first supection. Octagon barrels were not used on shotguns of that era. Too heavy, hard to swing on a wing shot, and the extra metal was not needed for the pressure a shotgun generates.
  7. Joe F. Watson

Joe F. Watson New Member

You make a very interesting point. However, this weapon has been fired using 12 gauge shotgun shells with no problems. I can only assume that it is a 12 gauge without having immediate access to the weapon. I will have access to it on Friday. On receiving your response, I called the owner who tells me that it is in fact a 12 Gauge and that they have fired 12 gauge shotgun shells through it. Do you have any ideas on any weapon that may fire a rifle round that would be equivalent in diameter to a 12 gauge?
  8. Joe F. Watson

Joe F. Watson New Member

My buddy just called me and told me that inscribed on the top of the barrel is "Full Choke Central Arms Company, St. Louis, MO, Double Nitro Breach". On the side of the barrel it says "#812" and on the side of the weapon it says "King Nitro". Also, the breach is also octagonally shaped like the barrel. There are other markings on the weapon that are unintelligible.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Then I'm stumped. Back to the books. Note, the name King Nitro was owned by Shapleigh. There is no reason that they could not have used the name on any number of difference firearms. Their wholesaler, H&D Folsom was a very large sporting goods supplier until the 1930's and would furnish any thing their customer wanted. Folsom owned Crescent Firearm Company and most of the shotgun orders were filled by them. That said, Folsom also handed other U.S. manufacturers ( if their customers wanted it ) such as Colt firearms and a vast amount of imported firearms( Belgium). Can anyone else out there in never never land help on this? Another note, Central Arms was used by W.H. Davenport on firearms furnished to Shapleigh Hardware. So, now it is curious, if it is marked both King Nitro and Central Firearms??? It may indeed be a custom , privately made firearm.
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

lets see if i can add to the confusion about brand names.

nitro king and several variations of the nitro are mostly associated with cresent and after the purchase of cresent by savage/stevens there are some 1930's stevens marked with the nitro name.

central arms is a name seen on shotguns manufactured by several manufacturer davenport, stevens and cresent but every one seem to agree on shapliegh hardware as the owner of the name.

my 2 cents is this is a cresent gun marked king nitro ordered by shapleigh and then they marked with the name central arms on it. it was then retailed by them or wholesaled to one of the smaller retail hardware stores who were their customers. it was not uncommon for brand name shotguns to have gone through three or more distributors, wholesalers before it finally reached the final purchaser, usually a farmer. this of course could all change if pictures of this gun were posted. the full octagon barrel could change to one half octagon (or less,which is my guess also).

i would suggest before this gun is put on public auction that pictures be posted. pictures won't change what the gun will bring at auction but they might help us give a better identification. pictures shoudl show all the markings.
    bill
  11. outlawrt66

outlawrt66 New Member

I also have a King Nitro shotgun with the numbers 812 on the side it also has central arms company stamped on it, and it also has the partial octagon barrel, does anyone know its worth or a link to potential buyers for this type of firearm?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010