KIRT JEAGER MAUSER

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by crosbym, Feb 21, 2012.

1. crosbym

crosbym New Member

Gentlemen, Being somwhat partial to bolt action and Mauser specifically I always ask when I go in a pawn shop or gun store. Now I have found a cherry K98 Kirt Jeager Mauser in 30.06. Gorgeous rifle with very intricately carved wood with ivory and ebony inlays. See pics. I cannot seem to get my arms around this rifle's value. I understand it is worth what I am willing to pay but I am not in the habit in paying too much. There is a lot more info available on Paul Jeager than there is on Kirt Jeager.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Is a commercial mauser barreled action or is it a sporterized military mauser action thats been rebarreled to .30-06?
  3. crosbym

crosbym New Member

I guess I cannot factually answer that question. I have looked it over twice and I believe it was military. It has been jeweled on the mag tray too. I didn't think Kirt did commercial mausers in Germany? Did he build anything in the states? I guess I don't know enough about them. I only saw a few weeks ago where mitchels mausers are building a commercial version. Thought that was the only commercial version.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Kurt Jaeger was a well known German engraver. His shop engraved a lot of guns for American services personnel in the post-WWII period. As to whether the gun is commercial or mililtary, there is no way to tell from those pictures.

AFAIK, there was no connection between Kurt Jaeger, of Mainz, Germany, and Paul Jaeger, of Jenkintown, PA, the American gunsmith whose shop specialized in sporterizing ex-military rifles in the 1940's and 1950's. Searching Kurt Jaeger is difficult as the name is quite common, both in the U.S. and Germany.

Jim
  5. crosbym

crosbym New Member

I will take a look at it again today and post more specifics this evening. I think this is the SN I wrote down on the shop owner's card. 2071650
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Due the high serial Im bettn its ex mil. Its incredibly hard to value a sporterized military mauser. What youll get is the purists telling you its not worth a cent because its been bubba'd, and then youl have the folks that just like nice custom rifles telling you its worth a grand or more.

From the blurry pics it looks like its a nice old hunting rifle with a lot of character, and the stock may be worth a little, but I wouldnt value it at more than 400 bucks for the whole rifle until I found out a whole lot more about it. And 400 is high ball IMO.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is a very high serial number for any Mauser. Military guns usually had 4 or 5 digits and a letter, and commercial Mausers didn't go anywhere near that high.

Jim