Knickerbocker

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Agerrein, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Agerrein

Agerrein New Member

I have just received a gun from my father and very curious to see what and how much it may be worth. Serial number is 124625 from American gun company. Not sure but think it is a 12 gauge double barrel
    If someone can help me would appreciate it
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There really wasn't a American Gun Company, that was an in house name used by the H&D Folsom Co ( a very large sporting goods distributor in the first part of the 20Th century. ) Your shotgun is a Crescent Arms Co. A company, that at the time was owned by H&D Folsom . Google Crescent arms Co. for more information. With out knowing the condition of your shotgun, and if it is a side lock or internal hammers ( need pictures ) value would be hard to pin down.The Knickerbocker was one of the better Crescent shotguns and the American Gun Co. brand can range up to a thousand dollars for one in excellent condition ( like new ) down to 175 to 300 in poor. By the way, the odd name Knickerbocker was derived from the Knickerbocker Gun Club, A very prestigious gun club in ( I believe, could be wrong ) in upstate New York . Best I can do, others?
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

American Gun Company was one of the many names under which guns produced by Crescent Firearms Co. were sold. Crescent guns were inexpensive, but reasonably well made. They started up around 1890 and were absorbed by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. about 1932; Stevens was later bought by Savage, but the current Savage company has only name connection with the earlier firm and has no records.

Since Crescent manufacture spanned the period of conversion to smokeless powder, you should either provide good pictures or, better, take the gun to a gunsmith to have it checked for safety before firing it. It could have Damascus barrels (built up by welding strips of iron and steel together and wrapping them around a steel rod), which should not be fired with modern shells, or have chambers shorter than the modern standards.

Value, in like new condition, could run as high as $400, but the average gun in good shape and with solid steel barrels will go for about $125.

Jim