Knife from other space-have one?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by happyskeeter, Oct 5, 2011.

1. happyskeeter

happyskeeter New Member

I have heard that it is possible to forge a knifer from a meteorite and some have actually done so.
    I was wondering if anyone here knows of or or has a knife from another world? Just the idea of this is amazing.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sounds nice

most meteorites are iron based , and are worth a few bucks , enough to make a decent knife could run you a few grand , most will end up as slag , you'd have to refine the steel and then form it for a blade and go from there

the bloke who wrote "ring world" ( a novel) had a sword ( fencing variety) made of meteorite metal , but rather poorly done so and it broke when he first waved it about ( showing why it has to be refined ) it was to celebrate his knighthood ..

but believe its all good now ..

but when you think of it , all metal is from the stars ;)
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Meteorites are worth a lot of money! They are more rare than gold and some are even more valuable than diamonds. IRON METEORITES: These are some of the most rare (not as rare as pallasites) meteorites on Earth and make up only 5% of all known finds/falls. Canyon Diablo (Meteor Crater in Arizona) is an iron meteorite. Campo del Cielo, is a huge iron meteorite that was discovered in South America in 1576, some 200 years before we become a nation! Time of fall, about 4000-6000 years ago. SOURCE: Meteorite Market Iron meteorites are not always worth more than a chondrite just because they are more rare than a stone meteorite. Some, like the Campo, can be purchased for less than .50/g or lower, whereas a Franconia Chondrite meteorite is worth between $1g to $2g at the time of this writing. http://www.meteoritesusa.com/how-much-are-meteorite-worth.htm

As you can see, getting enough Iron form meteorites to make a knife, or sword, could be a very expensive venture in todays market. And once you smelt it down, purify it, and hammer it into a blade, the value of the material used would deminish greatly.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

It has been done. Custom makers have incorporated iron meteorites into damascus steel.
    It degraded the damascus, but the "cool factor" was still there.
  5. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Seem to recall a bit of info about meteoric iron and knives.I know Bill Moran forged up one out of a iron meteorite he had sometime back in the early '80s.Also recall that there are some older kris,barong,punal,and wedong blades made with meteor iron as one of the main constituants.There is a large nickle iron meteor in the central palace grounds of the royal family of Java that fragments from it have been used to forge the kris that they own,it even has a festival associated with it.Once a year it is given a bath in a mixture of water,lime juice,and arsenic(the etchant used to bring out the pamir pattern in pattern welded kris blades).The older locals are so in awe of the meteors spiritual significance that they take sips of the water as a sort of blessing
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

Old King Tut ( or rather young King Tut ) had a very small meteorite dagger fasten around his neck. It was small. almost rather a amulet than a working knife.
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Robert Peary, dicoverer of the North Pole(I personally think Cook beat him) stole two very large meteors from Cape York, Greenland,from the Inuit Eskimos on one of his many polar expeditions. The Eskimos had been knocking pieces( I don't know how they did it) from these two huge meteors for all their known history.They shaped the metal into spear points and knives. Peary heard about them and convinced the Inuit to reveal the location . He then proceeded to steal them. They were taken to the Museum of Natural History in NYC, where they reside today. I've seen them and they ARE huge! One is 31 tons!
    http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/C/Cape_York_meteorite.html
  8. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Bill Moran himself said it many a time,Damascus steel is one of the most labor intensive methods to produce a mechanically inferior material ever,but it sells.
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

In the Movie "Iron Mistress" Jim Bowie's (Alan Ladd) famous knife was made from one.