knife making

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Appliancedude, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Anyone make their own knives.

I've been contenplating making some knives. I have some old chipped up files that are supposed to make some decent blades. Just curious if anyone has tried it and how it worked out
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

A $12 piece of O1 or 1095 steel from www.jantzsupply.com will make about as good a knife as can be. Old files were made of steel like these, but some of the newer ones are air hardening steel-so you don't know what you are working with. Either way, you need to know how to anneal, harden, and temper the metal. If you leave it "file hard" the edge will chip badly.
    Bill
    www.billdeshivs.com
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You might ask Bill.
    He is a member here. (Bill DeShivs)
    He makes some NICE knives.
    You can see some here.......
    www.billdeshivs.com
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Oops, Hi Bill.
    Guess you beat me by about 3 minutes. :eek:
  5. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I like making knives with a grinder and an industrial file. Make alright ones, although I am worried about the grinder heating them and screwing up the temper in the metal. I haven't had any problems yet, BUT there is always that possibility...I am working on a boot knife at the moment when I have the spare time at work.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've made a blade out of some T-1 steel for a big bowie knife. I need to temper it and make a handle, but I dont have enough used motor oil to do it with. I dont know that it would be any good even if I tried it, since I've never done it before. I talked to a knife maker at Silver Dollar City a while back trying to find out how to do it, just haven't had time or want to to try to do everything.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Why, thanks Pickenup!
    Bill
  8. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

When I first started making knives, I went to a local tool supply house in the Detroit area where I lived and bought die plate, which is O-1 steel. I then found a heat teat house that would heat treat the blades, and in return I sharpend all of their hunting and kitchen knives. So, it cost me nothing but time for the heat treating of the blades. They had a Rockwell hardness testing machine to check hardness after draw.
    O-1 is easy to grind, so that's probably the best steel to use when starting out.

Don
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

O-1, 1080/1084, or 1095 all are good blade steels. I use a lot of 1095.
  10. sportour

sportour New Member

I've been a woodcarver for over thirty years and make a lot of my carving tools, mostly bent knives and elbow adzes. I use 01 almost exclusively as it's easy to get, easy to work, takes a good edge and holds up under abuse. I only have a bench grinder, files, a propane
    and an oxy-acetylene torch for heat so I consider 01 a good steel for us amateurs. I carve NW Coast Native style masks, bowls, rattles and totemic figures so the types of knives and adzes I use are not readily available in the commercial market. BTW, I'm new to this list and I'm having a great time shuffling through. As the Terminator said "I'll be back"...
  11. MikeyL

MikeyL New Member

Just for information for all knife-oriented guys and gals, the American Bladesmith's Guild just had their meeting in Reno last week-end. Man, a guy could go broke out there! These makers FORGE rather than grind the blades; many of them extra-fine Damascus steel, exotic scales of stag, ivory, African blackwood, etc., and it was a great experience to see the quality of the work there; albeit expensive. I bought a knife from A.G. Barnes, of Hagerstown, MD, that is one of the prettiest I have ever seen; he created the blade for the annual auction as well. If you are into edged weapons, this is a great group of people, and they were hospitable and willing to share their craft.

MikeyL
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

A lot of knifemakers that forge their blades have to grind or drawfile them to smooth them out after they forge them.
  13. Texman

Texman New Member

I picked up a big heavy knife from Daddy's shed some time ago. he said his uncle , long gone, had made it from a car leaf spring.( Ford A model ?) . Was one heavy duty knife, machete size with handle bolted through the blade.. I used it to remove small trees and limbs,, still go it. Also got some of his old butcher knives from the store his Daddy ran back in panhandle of Oklahoma.. those I cherish.. cause he used them and his daddy used them and I use them still.
  14. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

I'd like to say I make knives but so far have never finished one. I'll forge weld a billet or some cable, manipulate the pattern, finish forge and edge pack, grind, heat treat and etch...then I go stick it in a drawer or someplace 'cause the fun part is over. Guess you could call me a bladesmith but not a knife maker.