1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Knife Question

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Pipskicks, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

I got 2 Kershaw Leeks (in stainless steel on special), figured I'd have a backup for when I lose my first one. It says you are supposed to cover it lightly in oil when storing it, is it important to do if it is not such a long-term storage (maybe 1 year??) and it is not a very humid place (in my desk in California)? I will coat it if it is a risk, but I don't know how necessary it is, and I don't really know what oil to use....
  2. bsally1

bsally1 New Member

Mine has been in my front pocket every day for the last two years. Would guess it is more humid than your desk drawer. No problems. It is stainless. Can't see aproblem in ten years let alone 1.
  3. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

that was quick, sorry I've gotta learn the rules a little better...
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

A little oil seldom hurts metal. Just spray lightly with a light oil such as 3inONE or sewing machine oil or, gee, dare I say it... any good gun oil. :D That knife in your pocket gets taken out somewhat regularly and wiped off, handled, etc. The one in your desk might not see the light of day for many months, so you will not notice any encroaching corrosion.

If you are really anal about protecting it, dampen a handkerchief with gun oil and wrap the knife in that. Place in a ziplock and stuff it into the desk.

Pops
  5. ameriskin

ameriskin New Member

i use the same things on my knives that i use on my guns. same solvents, same lubes. becareful with some of the plastics when using solvents. i use hoppes on my microtech lcc and she fires hard and fast.

cody