knife sharpner

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by kar298, Jun 6, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

what is a knife sharpner i dont want to spend a fourtune.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That is a queston with about 6000 answers. :D

The idea of sharpening a knife is to bevel the cutting side down to a fine edge. The angle of the bevel will be different for different uses. Chopping and heavy duty work requires a larger angle (~28-32 degrees) than shaving and fine work edges (~17-21 degrees.) The edge needs to be smoothed for fine work but left a little rough for coarse work.

When sharpening an inexpensive hunting knife for field dressing large game, I will often use a file and set an angle of about 25-30 degrees. With a high quality, expensive knife I will use a quality stone or diamond sharpener and set the edge to about 25 deg. using only a coarse stone. For fine work with a razor, scalpel or X-acto blade, I will use the finest stone, set the edge to about 17 deg and dress the edge with a halogen light bulb or treated leather strop.

The Lansky and Smith blade clamp and stone setup is ideal for a beginner. You will also want a diamond stone or rod for finishing. There are a number of good sites which will teach you the basics of sharpening. One which I like is <http://www.ameritech.net/users/knives/Juranitch1977Feb.htm>

There is a lot more, but that will get you started.

Pops
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

I have been a sucker for knife sharpeners for years, always looking for the right one. I think I've finally found it. Look up the A.G.Russell website and look at the pocket field sharpener. It's 40 bucks, but it fits in a shirt pocket and will put an edge on the dullest knife in a few minutes. No guesswork, just a sharp knife. I carry mine every time I go hunting.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004