Knife styles

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Pistolenschutze, Dec 31, 2006.

1. OK, I'm going to buy myself a late Christmas present. I don't "need" it, but what the heck, I want it anyway. At least it will be of more use than the shirts I got for Christmas this year. :D ;)

I've carried a pocket knife of one sort or another for over 50 years. I feel undressed without one, and these days, I normally prefer one of about four inches closed lengeth, around seven inches open, and with a pocket clip. I've decided on a Spyderco Delica 4 made of AG-10 blade steel. My only question is whether to order it with a straight blade, a fully serrated blade, or a combo blade (1/2 and 1/2). A straight blade is nice for most cutting jobs, but it doesn't work so well for really tough things like a seat belt or nylon rope. On the other hand, a serrated blade cuts very jaggedly on just about everything. A half and half would seem to be a good answer, but I'm concerned that I'll end up with the worst of both worlds and the virtues of neither. What do you folks recommend?

Please keep in mind that I look upon a pocket-carry knife as simply a tool, not as a weapon. I have combat-style knives for weapon purposes, though I rarely carry one since I carry a pistol or revolver for self-defense. For me, a knife is simply something I carry daily for normal cutting chores and for emergency use like cutting a seat belt at an accident scene should that ever happen.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  2. Snipe

Snipe New Member

I myself prefer the straight blade. I switch between my Paragon XO lite and my Microtech LUDT. I do like the serrated blades and the 50/50 but there hard to sharpen and keep sharp. just my 2 cents.
  3. deadmarsh

deadmarsh New Member

You're speaking of VG-10 steel, I believe (good stuff, scary sharp edge once the relief is prepped...

I prefer straight blades, without serrations. With the right edge, it'll do what a serrated will do, maybe better without tearing, and they are certainly easier to maintain, IMO

Dead
  4. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Another vote for the straight blade.
    For me, it’s a tool as well, and I use it all the time.
    If it’s sharp enough, and you know how to use it (which I’m sure you do) it will cut through most anything.
    There are too many things that I use a knife for, that I can’t use a serrated blade on.
  5. I take your point, pick (if you'll pardon the double pun :D ) and I too have used straight edge knives, for the most part, all my life. One thing that is leaning me toward the straight edge with the Spyderco is the AG-10 steel the blade is made of. According to what I've read, it is a blade that can be honed to an absolute razor edge and holds that edge well. A dull knife is about as useless as "mammary appendages" on a boar hog. ;) I suspect I will end up getting the straight edge and then carrying a serrated edge knife in my tool kit in case of emergencies.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Either of the full blades will have a use but the 1/2-1/2 in my eyes has no use cause you can't get a good pull with eiter blade
  7. OK, you folks have convinced me. I'm gonna stick with the straight edge knife. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say. :D I saw another Spyderco I like besides the Delica and I just may end up going with it. This is the Spyderco Centofante IV Lockback 3-1/8" VG10 Plain with a Wharncliff style blade. I really like the Wharncliff (sometimes called a sheep-foot) blade since the edge is completely straight--no belly at all. I don't care about a point on the knife since I rarely, if ever, have any use for it. This one has fiberglass reinforced nylon scales instead of stainless steel. Anyone had any experience with this material for knife handles? How does it hold up?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  8. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Rather than stick the serrated blade in the tool box, how about the glove compartment or console. More easily accessible if needed in a hurry.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

You might also consider some of the combo knives that have either an additional "hook" for cutting things like seat belts (or risers, some of you old T-10-1B riders may be familiar with that kind of knife...) or the kind that has a small slit in the grip which puts the working blade in the same kind of position as a cutting hook when the blade is closed. MOD makes a couple.