Know a good gunsmith

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by elect1mike, May 3, 2007.

1. elect1mike

elect1mike New Member

I have a 1911 that has given me fits. I put a new barrel in it as the old one was not in great shape now when I shoot it it puts a big dent in the cases and does not feed round nose reloads ( not a big problem) I would like it to not bend the crap out of the cases tho. I have heard you have to do something to the ejection port but I am not sure. Any coments or smiths good on 1911's
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

What brand 1911 do you own ?

Usually just lowering and flairing the ejection port will solve the problem.
  3. elect1mike

elect1mike New Member

Thanks shooter thats what I thought It is a custom Ithica slide essex frame with a match barrel and other goodies. Shoots great if you feed it factory ammo but its hit and miss with round nose lead reloads ( wad cutters feed and shoot great) I guess its wad cutters or FMJ reloads or factory stuff. And I will check around for a smith to do the ejection port work unless someone here knows of a good smith.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

Did you fit the barrel to the bushing and slide? Slide stop should be fit so that barrel snaps squarely into battery. Flare ejection port at back and bottom.