Korean War Medal help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1 Eyed Jack, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I have been searching, unsuccessfully, to find a pic of the ribbon that would have went with this 2nd place .45 ACP competition medal from Camp Chaffee, it's the medal without a ribbon in the pic, I want to restore it to put into a shadow box with my Dad's other military memorabilia,

ANY help with identifying the ribbon so I can have it recreated or replaced with a reproduction would be greatly appeciated,

From another post I made....

"The medal on the left with ribbon is a good conduct medal,

The other medal (not sure if it ever had a ribbon) was for placing 2nd at his military base in a .45 ACP competition, on the back it says...

Camp Chaffee
    45 CAL.
    PISTOL
    5TH A D
    2ND PLACE
    Dad's name

He was a Howitzer Instructor (105mm I think),

2nd Pic,

His dog tag's,
    And honorable discharge papers,

EDIT: I pulled the dog tag/dishcarge papers pic, too much personal info visible, SS# etc.

He donated his uniform and some other medals to a museum,"

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      230.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

That's an unofficial medal awarded by his unit. The bad news is the only way you will ever find out what the ribbon looks like is to find another medal just like this one, issued at the same time. These medals were usually supplied by a local trophy shop and they probably used a ribbon they had in the shop. Often subsequent years received a different ribbon, again depending on what the shop had available.

Good luck in your search.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Medal guy the expert this side says there is no ribbon but a rectangular bronze plate that has a pin affixed to it , the plate other has the name of the shooter or the unit he shot for , but there was no hard rule as this is not a issue item

he's faxing me a pic of one for you and i'll post it here when it arrives
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

fax was lousy so we got a pic emailed

these are all Army ( US and a couple canadian) shooting medals ( and a ambulance drivers tabs )

as they where bought by the units there was no central supply or standard pattern

but i hope this helps some

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Wow medalguy must have one serious collection...and knowledge. That is a nice thing.

I never even saw all of my dad's WWII and Korea medals and father-in-law's WWII medals until they were all shown at their funerals.

Both well decorated but rarely talked about them.
  6. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Thanks much for the reply's guys, and sorry for the delay of the thank you, my wife is creative and very good at sewing and crafts, I'll ask Dad if happens to remember the color and/or style of the ribbon, probably not likely, he's 80, still sharp, but this was a long time ago, I'll do some more searching on the internet, if I don't come up with anything, I'll just show my wife some examples and she will make something nice that will do the medal justice for sure,

I want to clean it too, I think it's made from brass but not sure, maybe just a little soap and water or some flitz and call it good, last thing I want to do is ruin it,

Thanks again the trying to help, and again sorry for the delay of the thank you, the depth of knowledge of the folks here never ceases to make me smile,

Thanks all,