Krag carbines

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

obelix2
    (4/3/01 8:18:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Krag carbines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone else notice the proliferation of Krag "carbines" on auction sites recently? I myself would never buy either a Krag or a Trapdoor carbine on the net -- even if my checking account didn't make the question wholly moot -- but a lot of people do. Some seem real; most are cut-down rifles.

I don't accuse the sellers of misrepresentation. In one case, there's a full-length shot of the seller (dealer to judge from the background) holding an 1898 carbine. A very clear photo, sling and all. And the description both noted the absence of a saddle-ring bar and gave the SN, well beyond carbine range. It attracted heavy bidding and went north of $700.

AntiqueDr
    (4/3/01 8:26:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Krag carbines
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Krags can be difficult to properly identify. Is it possible this one you refer to was an 1899? It didnt have the saddle-ring bar, and was made until 1902.

Anyway, I believe the Seller should take pains to make sure the item is properly identified and correctly described. There is simply no excuse for doing otherwise.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (4/3/01 8:55:23 am)
    Well, yeah, the amount of forestock showing looked more like a 99. But the SN was somewhere in the 200,000s; maybe 99 carbines were slipped into the middle of the 98 SNs? I don't have a source here. Anyhow, it was described as a 98, and people usually get that off the receiver. But sling swivels?

AntiqueDr
    (4/3/01 9:09:48 am)
    Many model 1898 carbines were altered to 1899 specs but still carry the 1898 receiver date. Even so, the sn is too high for the 1898 carbine. The serial number may work for the 1899 carbine, but they were all marked MODEL 1899 on the receiver.

All things considered, that was probably a cut-down 1898 rifle.

www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (4/3/01 8:30:54 pm)
    Another Krag question. A seller is currently offering a 98 (a rifle and unquestionable) but specifically states in his description that he will not sell it as a curio.

This isn't hurting him any: it's going for at least what it's worth. But I'm just curious. The seller certainly has this prerogative, but why would he intentionally limit his market in this way?

AntiqueDr
    (4/3/01 8:38:40 pm)
    Some 01 Dealers are afraid of running afoul of Big Brother. Some just dont know where to find C&R information. Although the Krag rifles are not specifically listed, they (in my opinion) would fall under "original military bolt-action rifles made between 1899 and 1946."

I love to have C&R's bidding on my stuff. They pay more!

www.apaxenterprises.com