L. W. Ginzer Rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by fsrifles, Jul 18, 2009.

1. fsrifles

fsrifles New Member

Hello everyone. I just found this site while searching for information on my gun. This looks like a very helpful site.

I have an old percussion rifle in 32 cal. made by L. W. Ginzer. The top of the barrel is ornate with L. W. in stylized script. I do not know if it started life as a flintlock but the lock looks like a replacement made by Joseph Golocher since it does not fit perfectly. The only information I can find on the maker is that he was in Indiana. I have seen some people call this type of rifle a plains rifle and a Kentucky rifle. It has a short stock and it resembles a Hawkins. However, it has a Kentucky type patch plate and the barrel uses a pin rather than a wedge. It has small plates of brass where a wedge would go but a pin was used instead. I have attatched photographs of both sides of the gun. If anyone know why a moon was used as decoration, I would like to know that as well. I would like to know what this gun is considered and any information on the maker that can be shared.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Attached Files:

2. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks beautiful.