ladder test?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jbeam, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jbeam

jbeam New Member

im just learning of the ladder test, and i think it is a great idea. i just don't completly understand fully. Should you shoot one shot or more, and how many increments should you move up for say a 223. Also how do you tell which one is the load you want. And also do you do it at 100 and 200 yards? thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I did a write up on the way I do it in the ammo and reloading forum, pictures and explanation included. Sticky thread at the top of the page.. It works for me pretty well.

Essentially what you look for in a ladder test is a string of consecutive charges where the POI change is minimal. Some powders provide a bigger sweetspot than others and some powders just wont provide one at all. You still have to test different powders and bullets but the Ladder test is a way of saving ammo and barrel life.

300 yd sis ideal for centerfire rifle. I use 200 with great results, and you can do it at 100 but if your rifle is really accurate to start with the reults can be a bit misleading.

Handguns get tested at 25 yds and carbines chambered for handgun rounds get tested at 50 yds.

Thats just the way that works for me..
  3. okiefired

okiefired New Member

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

I like this method. Does a good job of eliminating variables such as the fouling and heating of the barrel that goes on during testing. Either method works well as long as thier done properly.

okie