The Firearms Forum banner

Lake City .38Spl brass

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tony Mig 
#1 ·
Just picked up 1,000+ rounds of once fired Lake City .38Spl brass from E-Bay.
I never knew LC made .38Spl til I saw the auction, and as it went, I got sniped in the final seconds of the auction, but recieved a second chance offer from the guy 20 minutes after the auction closed. I jumped right on the offer, and paid him via PayPal...1,000 rounds of once fired brass anything for $15.01 isn't to shabby, and I've heard nothing but good things about the goods coming from the Lake City Arsenal from the M1 Garand, and M14 guys.

I've been rotating approximately 1,000 rounds of mixed brand brass, and recently a lot of it has been splitting at the case opening. I haven't shot any factory ammo for well over 6 months, and some of the older stuff I've been using just needs to be retired.

Anybody have any opinions...(good or bad)....about LC brass, please fill me in......

#3 ·
My references / specimens are packed, but I don't recall seeing LC headstamps in .38 Spl before. Too bad it wasn't loaded ammo - I'd hit you up for a few rounds!

Ditto the above reply on the crimps / load development. I've had a lot of .38 military brass from other suppliers and it is also noticeably heavier than commercial brass. Just requires load development, though; with mild loads, that brass will last almost indefinitely.

#4 ·
This stuff is tough as nails, but those crimps are a pain where the sun don't shine.....

I've been taking a couple hundred rounds to work with me every shift, and when I'm sitting around watching TV, I clean out primer pockets. I've got 600 done, and I'm holding the other 400 in reserve.

As far as loading them, I just went with my usual 4.3 grains of Unique behind my cast 158 grain LSWC's, and they fire every bit as good as my other factory brand brass does......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.