1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Lake City primer crimp removal

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

reload9mm
    (2/9/03 8:03:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Lake City primer crimp removal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gota hold of some Lake City military brass the other day and it has the primers crimped in place. No problem getting the primers out, but it's kinda hard to punch a new primer in. Any advise on how to remove crimp without over sizing the primer hole? Thanks!!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 9:18:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Lake City primer crimp removal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are many primer pocket swagers on the market to remove the crimp from military brass. You can use the Google Search engine on the bottom of this forum to locate one, or check out the various reloading supply houses.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/10/03 10:43:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del LC primer crimp removal
    Yup, RCBS makes a set of primer pocket swaging dies consisting of both large and small primer pocket dies. However, I use a sharp pocket knife to put a 45 degree bevel around the pocket and this works fine for me. Don't have to buy more dies either. All you really want is a beveled edge around the primer pocket.

reload9mm
    (2/10/03 11:14:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: LC primer crimp removal
    Ok, inplanotx, you say take a sharp pocket knife and nock off the primer crimp? looks like 3 spots to clean off, I'll give it a try..........Thanks!! (oh, by the way, these are .223 cases.)

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/03 5:45:03 am)
    You want to bevel completely around the primer pocket, not just in spots. I usually hold the knife at 45 degrees and spin the brass with my other hand. Make a complete circle around the pocket. The brass type (in your case small primer pocket) does not matter. Happy uncrimping.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 9:24:47 pm)
    if you get a hand-held / -operated reamer, get one with a full handle on it. Buy the very small knurled ones you hold in your fingertips, and your fingers will be damned sore after very few rounds. A reamer with a handle lets your entire hand / arm share the pain.
    Rich

AmOtramp
    (2/18/03 7:48:49 am)
    I bought a few thousand rounds of 223 and 9mm and 45 cal crimped brass 3 or 4 years ago, after a few rounds I knew I was in for a lot of work so I bought the Dillon swage, great little machine.

Edited by: AmOtramp at: 2/18/03 7:51:17 am

reload9mm
    (2/18/03 10:33:45 am)
    Thanks for all the info on crimp removal!!....Anybody know where I can get more .223 cases cheap?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/18/03 3:08:15 pm)
    How many do you want?
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"