Landi knives?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by CampingJosh, Mar 9, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with Landi knives? I may have an opportunity to acquire one in the near future, but I really don't know anything about them.

Any and all opinions/experiences are appreciated.
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Josh I never heard of Landi knives until your thread so I looked them up. That being said I have collected handmade knives for years and while I am no expert I know a bit and here goes. Any good handcrafted knife will have a tapered tang with a liner between the scales (handle) and the tang, the Landi does not. That doesn't mean the Landi is not a good knife but it is kind of like comparing an H&R 22 pistol against a Smith and Wesson K22. Go take a look at Joe Cordova knives on Google and you will see what I mean. Joe uses actual silver as his lining and his price for a good knife is very reasonable.

I have several hand made knives and Joe by far is one of my favorites. If you like file work on the tang and bolsters there is non better than Steve Lickarich. Steve was a jeweler turned knife maker and it shows. If the Landi is no more than a couple hundred great but if it is 400 or more you need to think Joe Cordova.

If you would like to see some pictures let me know and I will post some.

Ron
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The Landi I'm looking at is in the $100 to $130 range (retail). It's definitely not near the top end of handmade knives. I'm not collector, and I'm generally not gentle on knives. I just may have an opportunity to get this one at a greatly reduced price, and I wanted to know if it was worth the while.

This picture shows what I think is a liner between the scales and the tang, but I'll admit that I'm really not knowledgeable on this. That could just be that the innermost portions of the scales are red. :confused:
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have no knowledge of Landi knives, but they seem to be of good quality. Heat treating 1095 is not rocket science, so the blade should be good. I see nothing really special about his knives. They look the same as about a hundred other makers-but this has nothing to do with quality.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Josh, I'm not an expert on knives, but IMHO, there are two kinds of knives, those that work, and those for collecting. "I'm generally not gentle on knives", your words, so I must assume that you are looking for a work knife. If so check out this work knife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05p44ci3NH4 I own one, and they work! Cost will varry from $25 - $35. It's about the same size knife also.