Lanyards?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of lanyards or wrist loops on defensive firearms. Not military or police work, where the role is quite different.

When using a handgun for self defence in the home, a lanyard might be a good idea. For example if taken by surprise, and knocked to the floor, your sidearm would stay with you rather than fly across the room.

Opinions? Anyone use one?
  2. I never have and likely never shall, Tranter. They have their uses, I suppose, but unless I planned to join the horse cavalry, I rather think they would be more of a nuisance than an advantage, kind of like a necktie. :D

I am, however, quite in favor of them on artillery pieces, I might add. :D;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I carry a smith 642 which has recess in the frame at the back of the butt for a lanyard and I have attached one there. I am right handed and I carry my money (what little I have) and my keys in my front right pocket. I carry my gun in my left front pocket leaving about 8" of the lanyard hanging out. You would be amazed on how fast I can get to having my gun in my right hand. I pull the lanyard with my left hand from my left pocket and catch the gun with my right. It works pretty slick making me believe something along those lines had to have been anticipated by Smith to have incorporated the lanyard attachment when making the gun. It is the only modern day Smith I can think of that has that feature.
  4. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

lanyard with home protection or concealed?

got paranoia?
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Your camera comes with a wrist lanyard so if you drop it it wont fall to the ground.

If I was checking out a house for intruders I would think a lanyard a good idea. There is every chance I could be knocked over, and my gun would go off, perhaps under the sofa? or worse, into the hands of the intruder.

I am a great believer in not giving advise on anything I have not done myself. There's too much of that in this world. I admit I have never used a wrist loop on a sidearm, but suggest it may warrant further thought.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I like a coiled cord lanyard for my duty sidearm. Blackhawk is my favorite or Gemtech. I never liked the old GI issue nylon cord lanyards, just a preference, even though they work good enough.

Let me say though that any lanyard I've seen would be awkward for CCW. Maybe if only the coil was exposed someone would assume it was a keychain, earpiece cord, etc etc, but I'd think it could draw attention. If you were going to field test the idea, I'd recommend attaching the lanyard ends to a belt and try wearing it in public to see if anyone noticed....who knows, it may just look like more electronic junk people carry these days...like those Bluetooths in their ears.

For home defense, when you most need a belt lanyard you may not be wearing any pants! I'd think a wrist rig would be the way to go. I'm also thinking it would take some getting used to a cord/coil hanging off your faithful ol' nightstand cannon.

Last of all, Tranter, I don't think you're thinking is far off the mark in anyway. Just yesterday I listened through a lecture from our Top about our habits with "tactical" 3-point/cross shoulder slings for longarms. See, lots of people think of those slings for keeping the longarm at the low ready while transitioning to a sidearm, tool, or two hand task....but a very big reason for always using the sling is simple weapon retention: When you are struck by a bullet or object, or even extremely surprised, there's a greater than 50/50 chance your reaction will include reflexively clinching or opening your hands.
  7. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

Just my opinion: lanyards are EVIL!! I had a BAD experience involving a lanyard on a pistol and a door latch on a UH-60. Ow. Not pleasant. EVIL, I say!
    Look, I'm willing to admit it MAY help you hang on to the weapon. Maybe. But, it's been my experience that a lanyard just gets hung up on every damn thing, and if it gets hung up at the wrong time, yo' a*s is grass.
  8. delta13soultaker

Remember those old NOD mounts that clipped to the top of a kevlar helmet? Not the new rhino mounts that bolt on. The strap kind with the mount in front and the metal hook in back.

I was next to last man out a UH-60 one day. Well if you remember those old mounts, it was retained by a tension clip that left like 2-3 inches of plastic on top of your helmet. That damn plastic thing hooked right over a hydralic line or something on the ceiling of the bird.....nearly made me take my head off. I stumpled back looking stupd until I realized what happened, then got out.

The last guy off was my colonel....of all the guys to look like a dummy in front of huh....
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You make a valid point, a long military type lanyard could get caught in things. Anyhow as Delta has pointed out, at 0340 you may not have anything to attach it to, I know, its 0340 now here! (Cant sleep) and the choices are few! :D

I am talking wrist loop here. As I have said I have not used one, but I can see the advantage, and a wrist loop isnt going to get caught easily.
  10. delta13soultaker

Like a rawhide leather or nylon cord loop that you slide your hand through in order to grip the weapon?
  11. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

:D I understand completely. I accidentally DRAGGED a crew chief off the bird when his static line got wrapped around my ammo pouch. Heh. :D He was not a happy camper.
    Extra cord is not your friend. Lanyards = evil! :)