Laptop limitations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

I need your opinions/observations and experience folks.

My better half is in need of a new computer and has tried to narrow down her choices. She's not a gamer so she dosent need huge amounts of memory, super duper video card ect, but has started tossing around the idea of a laptop...I'm personally tring to disuade her in this idea because in all my uneducated wisdom I "think" they are better suited for ppl who travel alot ect.

Her selling point is that she could use it on the couch and not have to heat/cool the den.

My prophecy to her is that she will buy a nice laptop, use it for 6 months, love it for what it is, but still need a new computer because it cant do what a PC can.

If I'm wrong, hey, I'll use her computer station out in the reloading shop and put a big screen TV where it was and everyone wins...I just dont think she'll be happy with it as her dedicated computer.

Pros & Cons?

Thanks in advance.

Crpdeth
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Cons outweigh the pro in my opinion.

With the advancement of technology, a lap will be outdated before you know it. That isn 't a big deal, until you go to put a new video card in it, or anything else. First the price just because it is a lap top due to the size limatations. With a tower there is a lot of room to add anything you want.

Pros You can talk on the cell phone while driving and play games on the laptop at the same time
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. Brob73

Brob73 New Member

Well...alot of it now is pereference... because laptops have for the most part, caught up with PC's.

Laptop Pros:
    Convienience.
    Mobility.
    wireless connectivity.
    Space Saving.
    Cool.

Laptop Cons:
    Expensive.
    Limited Connection Ports. (USB,Firewire..etc)
    Limited Drive(s) Capacity. (DVD/CD, HDD..etc..)
    Battery life
    Price per performance comparison to PC is horrible.
    Harder to upgrade. Limited upgrades.

PC Pro's:
    Less expensive for everything. (Main unit, parts and accessories..etc.)
    Almost unlimited to what you can do with it.

PC Cons:
    Bulky.
    Can be noisey.
    Lots of wires. (depending on configuration)

Pros of buying wife laptop:
    She's happy.
    she stops complaining.
    You can network to PC.
    She might do something "special" for you!?
    You feel good about doing something nice for her.
    She stops complaining.
    She gets to tell ppl you did something nice.
    You get more PC time.

Cons of buying wife laptop:
    Price! (but may be worth it if pros outweigh the cons in your situation)
    She ends up not likeing it.
    She messes it up and you have to pay to get it fixed.
    Price.
    Giving in.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

got laptop and desk top. desk top doesn't get turned on most of time.
    if I had to choose I'd have only laptop. It goes with me where ever I go.
    would prefer to have both don't want to carry some files in lap top. namely personal business files
  5. Crpdeth

Thank you both for the responses, KEEP THEM COMING!

I did want to jump in here and respond to a few things just for clarification

:D
  6. Crpdeth

Nighthawk

Thanks for your response Man, we must have been typing at the same time...

Would you mind telling me what you use yours for mainly? You mentioned business, do you travel alot? And finally, would you reccommend a laptop for a Lady who already has a PC at work and will not be networking the two, but simply for the "I can use it on the couch" factor?

Crpdeth
  7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

by business I mean banking accounts I would not want others to have if laptop stolen.. I mainly use mine just for this but also use it to down load home movies and photos. I have a little back trouble and I can sit in recliner with this in lap and browse the forums I like . I would suggest watching covering bottom as thats were most cooling occurs. My daughter was having trouble with hers getting too hot. she was using it on a pillow in her lap also sitting on couch.
    mine came with ethernet card, wirless networking and phone modem. I don't travel as much as I would like (money lack) but have not found many motels that didn't have wireless internet and most others had ethernet hook ups. only found one that didn't have either. on road you can keep up with forums and road conditions.
  8. cec

cec New Member

For me it comes down to use and personal preference. Much like a firearm. :)

For the cost, Desktops work out best for me. What I pay for in a $1000 Desktop, I would have to pay over $4000 in a laptop. Since I am not concerned about portability or footprint, I choose desktops.

But as you mentioned, this is not going to be a gaming laptop. That helps reduce the cost.

The next major task beyond email, web surfing, and other "light duties" a PC sees is graphics manipulation, ie Photo Editing. A laptop can handle the light duties with ease, Photo Editing pushes you in the expensive area again. Also the smaller hard drive comes in to play.

There is also the personal preference, some people will overlook the limitations if they really want it.

To put a price tag on it. For an average PC you are going to spend about $600 to $800. The same in a laptop and you are looking at $1600 to $2000.

And just to ad some confusion to the mix, you can help bridge the gap of the laptops limitations if you look in a Docking Station or Port Replicator. These will allow you to easy plug a full size monitor, keyboard, mouse, and extra USB devices into the laptop. It will also save the connectors on the back of laptop which are subject to breakage, I went through 3 mother boards because of a serial connector. For example if hard drive space is an issue, add a external hard drive for about $100 that can get you an extra 100 to 250 GB of storage. But like most options, this will add up over time.

So where does this leave us? A laptop can be a very useful PC, if you buy it knowing it's limitations and extra cost. The cons and pros listed in previous posts pretty much cover anything I can think of.

If you go the Laptop route, then I would look into the extended coverage. Unlike a desktop, laptops are very expensive to fix.
  9. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

My wife got me a laptop about 3 yrs ago and it goes everywhere with me. We have a desktop that her and the kids use. I use my laptop for everything. I'm typing this at work while watching a DVD. :eek: :D
  10. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I have both and like both.

Most of the pro's and con's have already been covered, but I'll add this:

Laptop cons -
    - the laptop has a smaller keyboard with keys closer together, which may or may not be an issue since she probably doesn't have huge hands.
    - some people have trouble adjusting to the touchpad and/or trackpoint as opposed to a mouse (but you can attach a mouse to a laptop).

Laptop pros -
    - portability doesn't mean just out-of-town travel. You can take it with you when you visit friends and family to show off pictures and video clips of the baby, for example.
    - it takes up a lot less space when it is not in use.

You say that she likes the idea of using the laptop on the couch. I'm assuming (since you already have his and hers computers) that you have a network of some kind, but is it wireless? I know I'm asking the obvious, but just want to make sure.
  11. Crpdeth

Thanks again everyone...All points well recieved.

Ginga, yes we have the modem/router in here on my PC with the wireless card plugged into her old dinosaur computer across the house in the den.

Crpdeth
  12. durk

durk Active Member

I sit in my recliner every night and surf the web on my laptop. Network,print and share with the main PC. It's all good.:)
  13. Donny, I think it basically comes down to individual styles and tastes more than anything else. Personally, I don't care for laptops greatly because the keyboard always seems cramped to me, but I know that is not true for everyone. Another factor I dislike is the need for batteries. I must admit, I'm paranoid about that, always afraid the battery will give out at the worst possible time. If the laptop has a transformer, though, that may not be an issue so long as the system is used at home, and having the battery is nice if the power goes out! :D The greatest asset of a laptop is, of course, its ease of portability and its small footprint, and from your comments, it seems those issues are of paramount importance to your spouse.
  14. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I have both and I do like my laptop , But Battery life is horrible and it's Harder to upgrade. Limited upgrades.
  15. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

The old dino-puter I've got here is taking more space than I am willing to continue giving it. My company laptop takes a little tiny spot next to the door when I am not using it. I find it handy to be able to haul the laptop into the yard and watch my operations programing while getting sauced on the lawn. I use mine as an interface and mobile operations terminal; I would not buy one for the mere sofa convenience. They are just to darned hard to upgrade to be used for convenience.