Laptop limitations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Jan 14, 2007.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

Crp, get her to Best Buy, Circuit City, or the like, and let her shop; once she's decided wht she wants, hit the Web, and buy it, and save some money, as well.
    Weak points to consider, are the hinge being the interface, and also the most fragile part of a laptop, slower hard drive 5800 vs 7200 rpm, and portability vs battery life.
    Any five year old laptop on the planet is still more computer than NASA used, to put a man on the moon.
    I'm posting this from a 3 year old HP laptop, running on a 1.8 Ghz Pentium processor, with 1024 of RAM, and 80 Gig harddrive; New, about $1500 US, then, today, used and/or refurbished, likely less than $500.
    It takes up a lot less room, on the desk, and fits into a drawer, when not in use.
    Bear in mind, if it were lost, or stolen, I'd be tremendously compromised, financially, and in many other ways, if what is in it were accessed, by an unscpupulous person.
    Same weould apply to a desktop computer!
    All the best- Terry
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thank you Terry

I have pretty much just shutup about it so that she can make up her own mind...I do know that she bid on a PC (Dell) on Ebay the other day, missed out on it, then got the second chance offer really cheap and then didn't buy it??? LOL, anyway thanks for your input.

Crpdeth
  3. Crp, to save money, have you suggested a couple of empty tin cans and some waxed string? Of course, by the time you get out of the hospital she will probably have already bought what she wants. :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes:
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

She has taken three of the four exams and has one conditional credit. Still waiting to hear about her grade on a test or two.
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Tell her "good luck", and keep me posted on her progress.
  7. durk

durk New Member

Be very careful buying a used computer. I have heard that the chances you take are not worth the savings. It is not easy to get the computer all the way clean. (hard drive erased) I know a guy who is a "certified hacker" which basically means he is supposed to only use his powers for good and not evil. He told me the only way to make sure a hard drive is erased and know one can get the info from it is to take a hammer to it. Be very careful!