Lapua vs IMI rifle brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jboy, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jboy

Jboy New Member

Any comments on how IMI stacks up against Lapua? I don't use that much brass and so if IMI is not as good I'll just buy Lapua. If it is about as good I can get IMI cheaper.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Lapua is hard to beat, it is the best of the best. IMI is good brass and I use a lot of it in my 7.62 x 39, I also use a lot of K&P(Lapua) in my x39.
    Depends on what you are loading for and what you want as far as accuracy goes. For precision accuracy Lapua all the way, for everything else, whatever turns your crank.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Hands down Lapua Brass is the best on the market. The IMI I have came across was not close in quality.
  4. JLA

JLA Moderator

No comparison. IMI is good brass but it isnt even in the same league as Lapua brass.
  5. cutter

cutter New Member

I bought 100 .338 Lapua cases and am very pleased with them, I read where other brands were not chambering properly so I spent the extra and am glad I did.
  6. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

All others pale in comparison to Lapua. The primer pockets are machined instead of stamped, the flash holes drilled instead of punched through. A few years back a writer published an article in Precision Shooting Magazine dids a story about brass longevity. The American companys, Rem. Win. Fed. plus Norma and Lapua brand cases were involved with the test. The Rem.Win.Fed. cases all gave out at between 10 and 15 reloadings, by neck and/or shoulder splits, head separations, etc. The Norma cases gave out at around 38-39 reloadings. The test was stopped after 50+ reloadings of the Lapua brass, not because of cases failure but because the brass had work hardened to point of needing to be re-annealed. Don't overwork it and don't shoot it in a big sloppy chamber and Lapua brass will probably last longer than you want to use it

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't