LAR grizzly 45WM pistols

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Lark07, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

I bought one of these the day before I left to work out of state. I have not been able to shoot it yet but it looks to be in decent condition and I got it for $850.

The only issues I have with it so far is that it has a slight ring mark in the barrel about 3 inches in back of of the muzzle and the bushing is very tight when removing it. I am thinking of using cast 230 to 260 grain bullets in it.

Anyone opinions on this "1911 on steroids" pistol? Thanks.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

those things are massive. The grip feels like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat. They are very powerful and hard to control. If you manage to become proficient with it youd certainly be the force to be reckoned with in the woods. IMO, they rank righ in there with the .500/.460 magnum revolvers, .50 cal desert eagle and the wildey gas pistols. They are very cool, but have a limited calling and a slim hunting application. They arent very range friendly as far as ammo prices go and they are just too dang loud to shoot next to. Hunting wise, what these supermagnums are good for can be done with a .44 mag in a lighter, easier to control and easier to carry revolver like the SBH or the SRH from ruger. You did great on price, looks like you got it for about 500 less than market which will afford you a little ammo to practice with or a reloading set up to keep it fed. Post some pics wed sure be happy to gander at it.
  3. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

I have seen them for years at gun shows, but never actually held one until I bought the one I have now. The Speer reloading manual lists the energy as comparable to the 44 magnum, much less than the 50 AE or other very large pistol cartridges.

If it is a handful with the heavier bullets, then I will switch to 200 grain jacketed. I only shoot reloads in my gun collection except for rimfire and 7.62x39 and 7.62x54, so cost is not going to be a real issue. Most of my guns get fed more money (ie ammo) than their initial cost anyway.

I think it will be easier to carry than my 10 inch super blackhawk 44 mag, but not as powerful or accurate. It is not likely to be carried while hunting unless it is a backup for brown bear which I am unlikely to ever hunt. It is more of another range toy as is most of my collection. :)
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah I have more than a couple of those 'range toys' the worst of the lot, a raging bull .480 ruger. Weighs about 5 lbs loaded and kicks like a raging bull. Neat at night with the ported barrel and all.:D

I built a 1911 on a forged essex frame and alide chambered for .460 rowland. It is a handful. Cartridge length is same as .45ACP so no difference in grip size and uses the same mags. Brass is .1" longer than normal .45ACP so it cant be chambered in an ACP barrel. Mine wears a clark custom muzzle brake and 24# recoil spring. recoil is still a handful but manageable, Id compare directly to a .44 mag revolver with normal magnum loads. Its a hog slayer so id imagine your winmag will do well against feral bacon. Still cant believe you snagged one for as cheap as you did. You really lucked out on that purchase. that thing shoulda cost you around 1200, maybe more...