Laser Sights

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Cheimison, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Cheimison

Cheimison Former Guest

It seems like having a red dot sight would be handy in an unexpected defense situation. How well do these things work in terms of improving shot placement and reaction time?

Also, if I felt like it, couldn't I just duct-tape a laser pen somewhere around the barrel of my AK, or would heating and stuff cause problems?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  2. azgunner

azgunner New Member

Tape on your gun is not a good idea. It won't be stable enough for what you want to do. A good tactical light on a handgun is an extremely valuable tool. Barring that, one of the cheaper light from a company like Surefire is worth the money. It's saved my son's life once (another time- but funny).
    If you are firing your weapon enough to get it hot enough to cause damage due to something on the weapon(like tape), you have training problems or an actual invasion by an armed force. I recommend a Claymore mine.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Training problems?

Many times I heat my barrel up enough to cause electrical tape or the like to turn into a gooiey mess, testing ammo, mags, ect under stress comes to mind, then there is just good ol' plinking and blasting.

I agree with the Surefire statement though, also check out the new guy on the block -Bright Flashlights- you can find him in the equipment exchange at AR15.com, along with many happy customers.

~Crpdeth
  4. ArmyCop

ArmyCop New Member

I think laser sights are a good idea. I'm close to purchasing a Crimson Trace grip for my Taurus .38 cal snubby.

One friend of mine (City Cop) said his came in real handy on more than one occation.

You might find yourself in a situation where you haven't time to take careful eyesighted aim - might have to shoot from the hip - the laser would be a big help in this situation.

Let us know what you decide for yourself...
  5. brm3601

brm3601 New Member

I really like the streamlight m6 tactical light/laser combo. Man thats one real bright little light. Streamlight is also has adapters for most applications. I found that response time and shot placement in low light was pretty good.

matt
  6. azgunner

azgunner New Member

I currently have a 6P mounted to my M16, and I have found (in this situation) that anything inside the light is an easy shot. I have almost neer had a need to fire at anything beyond 30 to 40 meters. In low light, sometimes much much closer.
    Set on the left side handgrip, close to my hand. All I need to do is move my thumb and I'm in business...

azgunner

temp add:
    Bagdhad, Iraq til JAN 06
  7. Keola

Keola New Member

Currently Springfield, VA. Soon to be back home i
    I have a MX6 attached to my SA XD 9mm. I do like the fact that I have light and laser capabities, but I do have some cautions on it. When I attached my MX6 to my pistol, I think it was sighted in for 25 yds (it was a present). The point of aim and impact for 25yds compared to the point of aim and impact at 10 yds can be significantly different. It may be close, but that margin of difference might just cost you dearly.