Lasercast vs. Missouricast

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by azleite, Jan 13, 2012.

1. azleite

azleite Member

Howdy Folks, I'm looking for some advice here. I've always used Lasercast bullets with good results & I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. But I've also heard some good things about Missouri bullets & they are about half the price. Any opinions regarding barrel leading (Pistol & lever action) accuracy etc. would be greatly appreciated.Thank's, Dave
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Both are pretty good cast bullets and I've ordered from Missouri, but nothing stands out in my mind about them. When buying any lead bullet, be sure you can order different sizes for the caliber (.44 cal.; you should have bullets available of .429" to .432"). Most commercial cast bullets are on the hard side to help stop shipping dings and the lube is harder than necessarey to keep the lube in the grooves during shipping. I just checked Missouri's website and the .44 caliber bullets only come in .430" which is ok if that fits the cylinder throats of your gun (too small for two of my .44 Magnums). For me and my guns bullet fit is much more important than BHN hardness for leading and accuracy...
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am a fan of missouri bullets. Lasercast are too hard IMO. Missouri offers 2 hardnesses. 18 BHN for most handgun aps and 12 for target work. I use 12s in my .45ACP loads. and yes, they are half the price and twice the product IMO..
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use and like them both but I like the price of Missouri Bullets better for handgun use. Having said that, I do find that when using their 18-BHN bullets with bevel bases the leading can be a bit more than I'd like. But, then again, for the price, I can live with it.
  6. azleite

azleite Member

Thank's for the reply's folks. I only know the basics about bullet hardness, too soft= leading at high velocities. JLA, when you say Lasercast are too hard, what affect can that have? They claim magnum velocities without leading, which is something I want to try in my .357 lever (starting loads) could I try this with Missouri bullet's? If so, what hardness # should I go with? Thanks for your help-Dave
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Magnum velocities is what lasercast alloy is developed for. Too hard and a bullet will lead just as bad as a too soft one. Actually worse because the bullet wont obturate and the gasses will melt the base away and plate the bore with it. Thats the stuff thats a real B**** to clean out. The soft lead globs from a soft bullet pushed too fast are much easier to remove.

Lasercast alloy is somewhere in the 24 BHN range and perfect for .357 and .44 mag pressures. I have used them in .44 mag up to 1400 fps with good results. But I also find an 18 BHN bullet ran almost that fast (maybe around 1250) as long as it fits the bore well will give the same results and much better accuracy.

I shot this group with Dardas 200 gr .452 RN over 5.8 gr titegroup with my 1911. Full 8 rd mag. And yes the fliers were my fault.. ;)

Attached Files:

8. noylj

noylj Member

For 200gn L-SWC, go to mastercastbullets.com or Missouri Bullets or Penn Bullets. They supply excellent bullets and can supply relatively soft and hard bullets (I find even the "soft" alloys to be harder than needed for most .45ACPs).
    Almost all cast bullets commercially available today are simply too hard for best performance.
    Then, you add very hard bullet lubes (so they stay on the bullets during shipping and handling), and you can easily get bad leading even with bullets of the "correct" size.
    I have found that in this situation, a light tumble-lube of LLA will eliminate the leading, at the expense of some additional smoke.
  9. azleite

azleite Member

Thank's for all the great info folks! JLA, I bit the bullet (Ha Ha) & ordered 500 of the .38 target's & 500 .357's from Missouri cast. Should get them in about a week -$78.00's! Can't wait to try them-Thank's again-Dave
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youll love them. What BHN you get?
  11. azleite

azleite Member

I went with 12 on the .38's & 18 on the .357's. I'll be using W231 for the .38's & TITEGROUP for .357.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You get 158s?

I have a pet load with their 18 BHN 125s in .357.. 5 gr titegroup shoots 1 hole at 25 yds with my DCM.
  13. azleite

azleite Member

Ya, I got the 158's, I've always shied away from 125's because of the cracked forceing cone thing back in the day (S&W) but that was with FMJ's. I'm gonna shoot these up, I'm anxious to try them. I've saved your pet load data & am gonna try it w/the 125's next. What is a DCM? Oh yeah, I ordered these on Wednesday & they were on my doorstep Friday when I got home from work! Thank's again-Dave
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

DCM = S&W mod 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum. Mine is the silhouette model with front and rear adjustable sights.

Its a smooth tackdriver of a wheelie with a 15 oz single action trigger pull.