last time for deer processor

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Rneck, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Rneck

Rneck New Member

took a 130 pound deer to the processor last week. When I picked up the meat it looked way short so I weighed it at home and had 28 pounds of meat and paper. I was told it was all there but noticed they had deer jerky for sale. makes me wonder who is supplying the jerky since these guys are processing deer instead of hunting. should have been around 50 lbs of meat
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Some processors seem to do that, the two hunting gals I'm friends with process their own now after being ripped off in a similar way. Usually the backstraps went missing.

Sorry you got shorted.
  3. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Sorry you got shorted. That is the main reason I learned to process my own deer.

If you have the space and a spare large cooler or a spare refrigerator learn to process your own deer; it is well worth the time and effort. There are numerous books available that will give you step by step instructions. I guarantee that you will do a better job then any processor will because you will take the time to make sure it is done to your satisfaction and you will get the cuts you like.

Here is one example of the books that are available. I bought mine years ago @ Wally World, not sure if they are still available there or not, but you can find them on Amazon and this is an updated version of the one I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Cooking-Wild-Game-Waterfowl/dp/086573108X#reader_086573108X

It was the best money I ever spent. Covered everything from field dressing the deer to recipes; well written with easy to follow instructions. This book also includes information on small game too.

Good luck
  4. MarkB

MarkB New Member

How many times and where did you shoot the deer? Were the loins and tender loins there? Did they remove all the bones? Did you split the pelvis? I butcher deer and I have had some strange looks from hunters who shot a deer through the front sholders and in the back and wonder where all there meat went.
  5. Rneck

Rneck New Member

It was a neck shot, once with a muzzleloader, 50 cal with a 180 grain 44 jhp in a sabot. no meat loss from the shot. In years past I worked up my own deer but got lazy in my old age. My hunting buddies and I would gather on sunday and help each other butcher the previous weeks' kills while listening to a nascar race and having a cold beverage or two. Some have passed on and the rest have tried the processor thing. I think we should get back to the old ways
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

When you subtract weight of hide and bones you would certainly loose alot of mass. However. Sounds like you have some jerky interest and should have a new butcher on the horizon.
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    there is a good demo on utube on how to process deer,it is in two parts and is easy to understand.just do a google search. old semperfi
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cool! good to know

book learning aint everything

i can compare now how i been doin ;)

i had a 160 lb Gutted (76 Kilo actually but)

it produced 22 Kilo's of meat (49 lb ?) including one leg with the bone in

i thought it a bit lean compared to some i've got and thought myself a tad wastefull as well

is was a axis deer ( chital some folks call em)
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. 5string

5string Member

sounds like you are short, i get close to that just in hamburger-front shoulders and peices of odd cuts. I usually bone it out and cut according to the grain direction. i dont do roast so i have lots of meat to slice. i also dont add beef tallow to my hamburger.

I use the ground meat to make jerky out of. use the american harvest seasonning, press it and dehydrate. add a little cayanne powder to spice it up more.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you "may" have come up a bit short. I helped out one year at a processing plant as a favour to the owner, a friend as they were swamped that year during gun season. I had "my" way of doing it and the "other" people there had their way. My way was making good on everything that could be used and dicarding the rest. But, after seeing some of "thier" ways, I'm glad I do my own as I have always.
    Some of the waste that was added...well, I wouldnt eat it! On a regular sized deer, I usually make about 45-50lbs of good to use meat and more on others. I waste nothing that should not be wasted, thus fileting the whole deer and making alot of burger/jerkey.
  11. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

Let me say a couple of things about deer processors.

First is - when you have 100 deer in the cooler, you don't sit there and whittle every last ounce of meat off the bone. Most butchers will just take their knife and what ever comes off - comes off.

Second off is the ribs.
    When you have ribs - you might as well throw them away - because there is no meat on them and it takes too long to process.

Third is body fat.
    A buck in the end of the rut - which is rifle deer season here, will mostly be lean meat - due to the fact that the buck will probably run for 2 weeks without eating - because his mind is set on the does.
    The does will eat practically non stop and will build up a large reserve of body fat for the winter. The further north you go - the more fat they need , hence the bigger the deer gets.

Any fat that the butcher comes across - immediately goes into the scrap barrel.

The neck - the same place.

You get maybe 5 lbs of meat off each front legs.
    It gives a butcher a bad reputation if they cut up the front legs and then the meat is all full of sinew and tendons and stuff that you can't chew - let alone eat.

So that leaves the hind legs and the back straps.
    If you are lucky - you get about 6 lbs of meat off the back straps - if you want it cut into steaks that are boneless.

Buy the time you are done - you have about 20 lbs of meat - maybe 25 off the back legs.

So lets add it up
    25 + 6 + (5 x 2) = 41 lbs of boneless meat.

So yes you did get ripped off.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm

Here is a calculator for live weight vs how much meat you will get.

So if it has a girth of about 36 inches - you would have about a 135 lbs deer.

135 lbs deer live weight = 105.3 field dressed weight
    105.3 field dressed weight = 79 lbs hanging weight
    79 lbs hanging weight = 59.23 lbs edible meat.

So lets say that deer jerky costs $6 a lbs processed.

Lets say they stole 20 lbs of your meat to make jerky - if you have steaks and chops it is highly unlikely - thats $120 profit for them minus what the ingredients and time costs them to make it. So lets say $60.00

Lets also say that the processor has greedy people who comes in and brings a 40 lbs deer and then wants 20 lbs of jerky and 25 lbs of processed meat and they say no problem.
    Even though the meat reduces to about 20% of its net weight after it is dried for jerky.

If you lived in Pennsylvania - it would be time to call the Game Warden.

Where do you think your meat went?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. 199er

199er New Member

A very good explanation and thanks for the link to the processed meat caculator. If a processor does our deer this a useful tool to keep them honest.

Being shorted meat probably happens way more often than not.
  13. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

Here is a better example.

Last year - I shot the largest buck I ever shot in my life.
    I would estimate it's live weight at 175 lbs.

When it was hanging in the rafters of the garage, it's nose was touching the floor and it's neck was as big as a 12 inch sewer pipe...

It was warm outside and in my zone it is not legal to hunt does until the first Saturday of the rifle season.

I came home with nothing to do and the Monday night football game was on the television so I decided to bring in the meat a couple of pieces at a time and clean up the smallest pieces first and put the hind legs and front legs in the freezer to stiffen them up.

I started washing everything at 9 PM and put the larger pieces in the freezer and had the rest sawzalled up by 11 PM.

I started deboning everything and got done about 5 AM the next morning.

I had a million guys that over the internet - without ever seeing the deer, tried to tell me that they could properly clean and butcher and debone a entire deer in about 2 hours.

Those people are the ones that gives real butchers a bad name.

When I was done - I had 68 lbs of lean meat and two large boxes full of bones and fat.
    I took the boxes for a ride and got rid of them at the bear pit.

I put several large garbage bags of meat into the freezer.
    about 20 lbs of meat per a bag.
    That was as much as I trusted in any one bag with it not being froze.

I left the meat in the freezer for two days until it was completely froze.
    The Amish butchers has a policy 10% off if you bring it to them frozen.

All they had to do was run my meat through the grinder and make Bologna with cheese, pepper sticks with cheese, kielbasa, and plain pepper sticks and hot pepper sticks.

When you make these items - you have to add a certain percentage of pork and pork fat. You have to cook them in a boiler and you have to smoke them in a smoke house.

So in theory - you would get back more then what you took or at least get back the same amount that you took!

I got back 50 lbs of processed meat.
    They tried to tell me that I did not have 65 lbs of meat.

Now I have butchered deer with my grandparents and parents and aunts and uncles since I was 5 years old - some 40 years ago.
    I have my own meat scales and I have a hanging scale and I can tell you to the ounce how much meat was there and how much I should have got back.

Two things happens every year - first is that my meat is nicer then their meat so when they see my meat and they have friends that wants everything nothing but the best - the largest steaks and the tenderloins and the back straps - they go after my meat - because it is already processed.

The second problem is - because my meat is nicer then their meat - my meat makes better jerky then some idiot that shot a 100 lbs buck in the aze with a 300 H&H and expects to get it all back in Jerky when there isn't any meat left over to make jerky with - because it came pre chewed.
    So the butcher says no problem. I will take his meat and give it to you and I will take your meat and give it to him.

Or you bring two or three boxes of processed - deboned meat for them to process and they loose one or two boxes - because they aren't used to someone bringing in the meat already done and when most people brings in meat - there isn't very much there for them to work with - because most people are HOGS and wants the steaks and chops for themselves and then wants the JUNK cut up into processed meat - and they expect to get back more then what they took, and when they go to pick up their meat - they are the ones that asks if they could buy some extra bologna's and jerky and the processor is not in the business of cutting up the meat one at a time or worrying about if you got your meat back - says sure and sells it to them.

The crazy women are the worst when it comes to that.

So basically when it comes right down to it- they charge $45 for a simple cut, another $15 to debone it, $5 to get rid of the head and the hide.
    That's $65 before anything is done to it.

Then you say you want 10 lbs dry weight of jerky - that is another $8.00 a lbs, $80
    You want pepper sticks at $6.00 a lbs - 5 lbs = $30.00
    You want 3 deer bologna's at $6.00 each - $18

Now your bill for one processed deer comes to $193.00

So a crazy woman says - I feel cheated because I could buy meat in the store for less money and so she says - how about giving me another 5 lbs of jerky and another deer bologna. The meat processor says - no problem.
    5 x 8 = $40 + 6 = $46

$239.00

And the processor maybe has $50.00 into the whole deal...

Now you come in with one deer, you tell them to skin it and a basic cut.

$10 to skin
    $45 simple cut
    $15 to debone and make you some ground meat
    $5.00 to get rid of the head and the hide.

$75.00

Who is going to get more meat?
  14. whirley

whirley Member

My solution. I bought my wife a Kitchenaide mixer with the meat grinder attachment,grind my own meat, adding pork or beef and beef tallow as desired . I buy hog intestine at the local market for stuffing sausage, mix my own spices, and hang my sausage in the smoke house of the local butcher. Since I buy all my beef, pork, chicken there the rest of the year, he only charges me a couple bottles of Straubs Beer for smoking. I learned many years ago, that once you add the spices and smoke the meat, it's impossible to tell if it's deer, beef or whatever. The raw deerhide is worth at least $3, but if you don't mind getting skinned, go ahead to your local butcher.
  15. zb338

zb338 New Member

Years ago I took a deer to a butcher. When I went to pick it up the
    butcher gave me a small paper bag with the meat in it. I asked him
    where the hell the rest of the meat was. He said Oh! did you get shorted?
    I said hell yes I did! So he gave me another bag of meat. Was any of that
    meat the deer I killed? I doubt it.
    Zeke