Latest pics of 3rd prototype Ruger 10/22 mini machine gun stock kit.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Bill Akins, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

Update:

Here's the latest photos of my 3rd prototype machine gun dress up kit stock for the Ruger 10/22.

No modifications of any kind are done to the Ruger 10/22 receiver. It is still factory stock.

3rd prototype, (2nd water cooled prototype) that also quick changes to an air cooled model in just a few seconds. All that's left to do is to fabricate the sights like I did on the last 2nd prototype and fabricate the tripod mount attachment piece for fitting to a standard camera tripod, drill, tap and install the drain plug and hose, get all the aluminum anodized and attach a crank fire trigger attachment to the trigger guard so it can be crank fired like a Gatling. And then get my production line set up. I got several quotes from machine shops for quantities on the parts, and it was just too much. There are actually quite a few parts. And I don't want the hassle of having these made over seas, with shipping and not being able to be there to see and fix any production mistakes. So I have decided to set up my own production line to make these myself in small production lots. Still will be a little while before they are in production, but getting there little by little. All the end user will have to do is get their factory standard stainless steel tapered barrel end threaded to 1/2 x 28 tpi at a local machine shop. I can make the kit easily work with an .092 bull barrel too, by machining the faux receiver front plate a little differently for the bull barrel.

With 50 rd MWG mag in gun.
    [​IMG]

With 25 rd Tactical Innovations mag in gun
    [​IMG]

Quick changed to an air cooled model. Pic taken before I drilled & tapped & added hex button screws to the top cover also before I rounded ejection port ends.

[​IMG]
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Tight!! I love the air cooled model
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweet. it looks like a mini maxim, and the air cooled looks like a mini browining 1919 .30
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Those are too cool!
  5. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

Me want one!!!!!!!!
  6. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.

7. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

Just got it tripod mounted today.

I finished making the tripod mount bracket today. I mounted the gun onto the tripod for the first time today and it fits and operates perfectly. I am thinking about welding four small triangular braces on the outside of each bend on the mount bracket though, because I do notice just a slight bit of springiness flexibility in the mount. The welded triangular bend supports will fix that.

Next I have to fabricate and install the sights, anodize it, and it is finished.

My air/water cooled convertible 3rd prototype in air cooled configuration
    with mount bracket mounted to heavy duty camera tripod for first time. All below pics taken today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quickly changed while on the tripod to a truly water cooled version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like a heavy duty camera tripod because it is very cheap to pick up for anyone anywhere. A good one from a pawn shop for maybe $30. to $35 dollars. I like the heavy duty camera tripod though, not a thin spindly one.
    I couldn't build a tripod less expensive than that, that also has all the adjustments a camera tripod already has. With its legs fully extended it looks somewhat like an MG42 AA tripod, (only with all the neat camera tripod head adjustments the MG42 tripod doesn't have). It is also cheap and easy to paint the tripod to better match the eventual anodized finish/color of the dress up kit.

1. My tripod has tilt from side to side and the ability to lock that tilt at any point. That means if I am on uneven ground, I can adjust the head of the tripod to be level instead of having to adjust all the legs as in a conventional machine gun tripod.

2. Elevation and de-elevation and the ability to lock it at any point.

3. 360% windage and the ability to lock the windage at any point.

4. I can crank up the tripod pole way past the tripod head, enabling me to get instant height to shoot sitting on a stool or standing. This extra height and adjustment you don't even get on an MG42 AA tripod. Plus, I still have the tripod legs that I can let in or out for any height adjustment I need. But once I have the tripod legs set to an approx height I want, then I can just
    crank up the pole head for whatever exact sighting height I need.

5. It has a bubble level for both tilt, elevation and for leveling the head to legs.

6. It is much lighter than a full size MG tripod.

7. It works using an extremely simple mount bracket that can taken off if desired and another mount bracket can be easily made (if one desires), to fit it too almost any real machine gun tripod. "Coffee Cup Stains" sells plans for a mini Browning tripod (you can build, they don't make them) and with slight adapting of my mount, I have no doubt it would fit on them too. But I prefer the camera tripod mount myself after I multiple test fired them on both types of tripods where I realized it was all I needed for a .22 and had a greater variety of adjustments not normally found on MG tripods.

8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think it needs some sort of linkage so the gun can be fired by pressing a trigger button with your thumb, like the original machineguns had. it seems it would be kinda awkward to have to pull the trigger without a grip for you hand to be on
  9. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

I like how you think John and I'm going to do exactly that.

I experimented with doing that two years ago with my first water cooled Ruger prototype. A crank that is turned by both thumbs that goes to either a wheel and strut linkage (like a locomotive) to the BMF activator's spindle on both its sides, or using the same principle but with gears and a chain or belt. The strut hole in the wheels are positioned slightly off from the other wheel to help the other wheel over its "hump" when its strut is fully extended. That would only be an issue with the locomotive strut/train wheel type set up. With gears and a chain or belt, no strut full extension would occur. But either method will work. It will require a wheel/gear attached to each side of the BMF activator's spindle which is double sided already to allow the crank handle to be ambidextrous. Then another set of wheels/gears on each side that is setback just under the grips. Then from that last set just under the grips, the struts/chain/belt goes upward to the thumbcrank between the spade grips.

I designed the faux receiver's back cover plate to be removable, so I can attach the thumbcrank to another back plate and by attaching the strut linkage, or chain or belt to the wheels/gears attached to the spindle stems on both side of the BMF activator, to have an optional drop in thumbcrank accessory to the BMF activator that will allow you to keep all your fingers on the spade grips while manually cranking with your two thumbs.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3025655810099763970ivXHkP

Is that something like what you had in mind John? As you can see from my video, very do'able.

It would be the only Ruger 10/22 convertible air or water cooled, mini MG dress up stock in existence that allowed you to manually crank fire with you thumbs while still keeping all your other fingers on the spade grips. And for California and Minnesota, (the only two states where it is illegal to install a crankfire trigger activator) I also have designed the faux receiver to allow enough room to accommodate a pistol grip immediately behind the factory trigger, and by removing the two dual spade grips and replacing them with one single spade grip (ala the Lewis gun), it would be fired normally without any crankfire trigger activator attachments.

I also have a design I've drawn that belt feeds the Ruger 10/22 magazine without any modifications to the firearm in any way. I've started on machining out the housings for two of the belt fed mags, but that got put on a back burner until I can finish this prototype. The belt fed mag design would also work for any box type magazine fed firearm. No questions on the belt fed mag design please, for obvious reasons I intend to patent that one.

But first I have to finish the sights and get it anodized before working on the thumb crank and belt fed mag.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Any thought to sights? Anti air type like on the M60D model would look cool. That what had in the Corps.
  11. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

I definitely thought about the sights. In fact I agonized over the sights. My first prototype which was air cooled I installed AA type spider sights, actually using the M60D spider sight (you mentioned) with a tall front sight on the end of the perforated barrel shroud. Like in this below photo.......

[​IMG]

Then for my first water cooled prototype, I used a rear ladder sight I adapted from a WW1 Enfield rifle sight I modified to effect windage too, (it does not normally have windage, just elevation) like this....

[​IMG]

However my third prototype is different. It is convertible and in just a few seconds it can go from air cooled to water cooled. This presents several problems because I am using one standardized faux receiver. If I install a ladder type rear sight on the receiver for the water cooled version, then it would look strange to have that ladder sight on it and also another rear spider sight that is attached to the air cooling shroud when I put on the air cooling shroud. Yes I could remove the rear ladder sight but then the holes to attach it to the top of the receiver would show. Plus it really would mess up my stock kit being convertible because if you removed the rear ladder sight so it wouldn't look strange with a rear spider sight installed too, then you can't use the rear ladder sight when you put on the water jacket to convert it to water cooled. Or you would have to reinstall it and its screws.

So....as I said, I agonized about the sights. Especially because I happen to really really like the M60D spider sight setup on my first prototype.

But I had to take into account that this is going to be a convertible from air to water cooled and back again stock. So I decided to standardize the rear sight to work with both versions just like I standardized the faux receiver to work with both versions.

What that means is, I've decided to use the ladder sight for both versions. When it is in the air cooled configuration, the front sight will be welded on the perforated air cooling shroud, right up next to the front of the faux receiver, and will look a lot like a standard 1919a4 front sight which is also a short radius distance front sight right up against the front of the 1919a4's receiver front.

Then when the perforated air cooling shroud is removed (in seconds) and replaced with a working water jacket, the front sight on the end of the water jacket will also work with the rear ladder sight.

So again, I standardized the rear sight and only change the front sights when it is swapped between air and water cooling.

But, if one wanted to just have an air cooled AA type model without swapping versions back and forth, they could certainly remove the screws and take off the rear ladder sight. Then cut the front sight off the perforated barrel shroud and replace it with the rear spider sight and fabricate a tall front sight to go on the end of the perforated barrel shroud, which would give them a sight setup like my first air cooled prototype.

But I would leave that for someone to do themselves. I'll be using one standardized ladder rear sight that works with either the air cooled or water cooled front sights.

Like I said, I agonized over the sights. But I had to do what was practical for being a convertible to either version kit.

Make sense?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I love the air cooled model and in the ''blued variation'' looks great with the old M60 sights on it. We can have the crank device in Florida and would greatly consider this kit when you get it where you want it. Trigger on the spade grip would be awesome even if it activated the trigger on the bottom of the receiver and then some sort of cover on it to conceal it.
  13. Bill Akins

Bill Akins New Member

I noticed you live in Tampa Bay Area, Fl. I was born in Tampa. We live pretty close.
    I'm in Hudson, Fl now which is about 45 mins to an hour north from downtown Tampa.
    So when they eventually are ready, you can come by and check them out in person.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

how about instead of a thumb crank maybe something similar to the pedal power of an old sewing machine. use the same train wheel linkage on the trigger, but for the thumb have a paddle that just needs to be pressed.

pretty cool ideas though. the belt fire thing if you could make it work with just a standard 1022 would be a big seller i imagine
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thank you and I will. I am in Lakewood ranch/Bradenton area