laxatives vs. moles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Anybody know if dropping chocolate flavored laxatives in mole holes actually works? I am going to try and get a jump start on my mole problem, and the traps didn't work last summer. I've sprayed my lawn with castor oil and that didn't work either. I'm trying to accomplish this without the use of poison. Well, I would like to try a little lead poisoning, but I can't ever catch 'em. And, yes this is a little early. Obviously, I'm itching for some warm weather.:D
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know about ExLax, but I've heard that Wrigley's Spearmint gum works. Clogs up their internals, and they starve to death, I think is why it is supposed to work.
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Not sure what you mean by poison.

At one time I had a problem with moles. I had pets so poison wasn't an option. I did some reading, and some folks suggested hooking up the tail pipe to the hole.

I carefully scooped out a hole at one end of the yard, and another at the other end, with one inbetween. I lit a road flare and placed it in each of the end holes.

Never saw another mole.
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

That sounds more to my taste.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When I had the garden farm up in the mountains of SoCal, I was plagued with ground squirrels. I'd put a hose on the 20 pound propane tank, run it into a hole and open the valve on the tank for 10 seconds or so. Propane is heavier than air, so it would collect in the bottom of the hole. The squirrels go to their den in the bottom of the hole when disturbed by someone walking about.

It worked.

Pops
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Get a cat, or a Jack Russell, or best even get a Rat Terrier. Your yard will be aerated and mole-free. Plus, you'll have a really annoying pet.
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a huge problem with moles commencing about 2 years before the arrival of the "17 Year Cicadas". I tried everything but nothing seemed to work until I tried THESE

I haven't seen a mole in the last 2 years following the one treatment.

It maybe coincidental, but it seemed to have worked miracles for me.