Lead build up

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by starman, Jun 11, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'm sure this has been coverd, but is there a good product on the market for applying to cast lead bullets to prevent some of the lead build up in both the cylinder and barrel of revolvers?

Thanks

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I use lee alox on all my boolits. The hotter loads (.357 mag, .44 mag, .480 ruger) utilize a gascheck. And barrels are kept clean and lubed as well. No problems with lead.

4. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    El Paso, Texas
    What do you use to lube your barrels? Thanks

5. dardascastbullets

dardascastbullets New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Essexville, MI
    There isn't any product that you can apply to the surface of cast bullets (I think that is what you are asking) to prevent some of the lead buildup in cylinders and barrels. There are some factors that you must adhere to in order to prevent leading. The first is a great fit of the cast bullet to the barrel - typically 0.001" over barrel diameter will afford this required fit. The second is the lubricant. The lubricant has to have the proper attributes in order to provide lubrication for the bullet to pass through the bore in pristine condition. And the proper bullet seating setup that does not shave any of the bullet during the seating operation. The shavings that are adhering to the bullet are easily deposited onto the barrel's surface during firing.

I trust that this information will answer your question.

6. Lead hardness has a bit to do with it too..