The Firearms Forum banner

Lead Bullets, Flat Based vs Beveled Based?

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Old Grump 
#1 ·
What's the difference between the two. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

#2 ·
Beveled is just that has a slight bevel around the base to easy loading on a progressive loader. Not that it cant' be used on a single stage loader. The advantage is you dont' have have them setting perfect over the casing to seat. The other thing I found you dont' need to flare the case as much either. Others may give you some other reasons also. I have used both and prefer the beveled base. I will use what ever I can get for the application I have.

#3 ·
The 'flat' based are flat, the 'beveled' based have a very small wedge removed {it was never there} from the outer edge of the base. (Now that was simple, didn't I get it right?)

I have only cast lead bullets that produced 'flat' bases. Not counting those that are gas checked and they could be considered as 'beveled' but they actually aren't. They work as well as expected. When I buy cast lead bullets, I prefer the ones with 'beveled' bases, they are a little easier to start in the brass.

At the velocities that I shoot lead, I can't see that the difference from one to another as making any difference on target.

For me it is a matter of convenience, cause I'm lazy I guess.

Now none of what I said was any help, just my opinion with no proof of anything more than my preferences. Oh, well.

Enjoy,

OSOK

#4 ·
Re: 45 acp Lead Bullets, Flat Based vs Beveled Based?

Lyman 200gr. Bevel Target Loads -more accurate, as the base is not deformed by the lands as much. This depends on ally used. Load better, as the base enters the case mouth straighter. When sizing in a Lyman, lube is left on the bevel, has to be wiped off. Flat base, of the 3 i tried, the 200gr was the most accurate. Semi-Wad Cutters out shot the round nose. For maximum loads in 357 & 44 mag. i would go with a flat base. I am sure other have gotten different results. Doing your own testing is the only way to know. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Performance wise steve, there is little difference. The bevel base boolits were designed with CAS in mind where hi volume cast bullet loading is doneon progressive machines and the bevel base makes it easy to just set a bullet on top and run it thru the seater die. With flat base you have to take care to make sure the bullet starts straight.

Some folks will say that flat base is best for use in a revolver because the bullet base is the steering end and bevel base bullets can cant a little between the forcing cone and cylinder throat and cause poor accurcy and severe leading. A theory i actually bought into at first, but I found thru testing both designs in a full power .44 mag that the BB actually shot as good or better and loaded into the cases much easier with less shaving.

#6 ·
In my experience with both, I've found as others, that the nice feature of the bevel base design is in ease of rapid loading. The not so nice feature is a tendency to lead more than a flat base bullet.

#8 · (Edited)
I go with the theory that out to 300 yards it doesn't make any difference and the flat base has more base for the powder to push on giving it a slight advantage. On the other hand the boat tail bullets have less drag and for shots 300 yards and beyond they will hold their velocity a little better and have less drop. My match ammo are brass jacketed boat tails, all my plinking, defense ammo and most of my hunting bullets are flat base lead bullets and I don't anticipate having to shoot farther than 200 yards with any of them. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.