Lead Free?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TranterUK, May 2, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I just received some 9mm 124gn bullets for reloading, and it turns out they are 'Total metal jacket lead free' What the heck is that?

The jackets look copper, but go right around, so what's in the middle and are they a good idea to use or should I return them?

I have never come across these before... Anyone?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  2. Kestral

Kestral Member

Had some from France made of solid copper,worked ok but too expensive.Viking Arms or Tim Hannam Leeds do a Sth African 115grn & 124 grn Frontier brand that are fully enclosed with copper,but don`t know if they are lead filled.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Cant say I am keen kestral, would it effect performance? These were from Tim Hannam.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Tranter, here is a link of a place that sells what they call lead-free bullets. This sight might be able to give you some information. If this is where you got them, then I will say that they are very good bullets. I have used their .357, 9mm, .44 cal, and 45 cal with good results.

Here is the link: http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for that gdmoody. Good to hear they have worked for you. I shall read up on them.
  6. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Aren't Barnes bullets lead free, at least most of them? I think that they are a bit long for their weight due to the difference in density but I also understand that they perform very well. They are rifle bullets, I don't know if they make pistol bullets.

I have used Rainier bullets and they perform quite well for plinking.
  7. Kestral

Kestral Member

Ref Tranters query.The main problem with the bullets from Tim Hannam was that you had to weigh each one,they varied from 122.7 to 126.2, all in the same pack, ok for plinking,but needed grading for target use.
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for the heads up kestral..

They are going back next week. I dont need the aggravation...
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Both you and we have ridiculous gun laws, but the differences always amaze me. Here in the US, we're not permitted to return ammunition to the retailer.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Back to the original "TMJ, lead free" bullets mentioned. I will suspect that those are lead-core but have a jacket that completely encloses the core to keep the lead contamination to a bare minimum. This is as opposed to most FMJ bullets that have the lead core exposed at the base of the bullet.
    It's very similar to the copper-plated cast bullets except they have a regular jacket instead of just a plating.
    A person would need to section one with a hacksaw to verify but I bet there is a lead core inside em.

As for those other "solids" that kestral and others have mentioned. The only ones that I'm familiar with are Barnes but I knw there are other makers too.