1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

lead hardness for 45-70

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Cregg, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Cregg

Cregg New Member

Want to cast my own bullets for a sharps competition 45-70 and was wondering what ratios you all use in yours with good results? 20-1, 30-1or what. Thanks
  2. sewerman

sewerman New Member

there's data galore all over the net for just your loading.
    myself , i'd say it depends on your bullet size and the amount of velocity.

too soft or two hard lead can both cause leading, what's important is you use the correct sized bullet.

you may want to slug your barrel first, not all 45/70 are alike in bore size.

good luck

S.M.
  3. imray

imray New Member

Thats a good question for anyone hand making their own balls or ammo, I have been shooting some wheelweight lead, which I was told was 10 to 1, kinda hard but seems to shoot fine in my muzzleloaders. I also have several hundred pounds of the old Bell telephone cable sheath lead, which is really soft. I have been thinking of melting them together to make ingots for molding bullets in the middle of hard and soft. what do you think of that idea? best wishes, ray
  4. sewerman

sewerman New Member

this forum, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

is dedicated to the home bullet maker.

i shoot mostly patched round ball , round ball percussion revolver & occasionally military minie.

soft cable sheathing is the best for the above fire arms.

shooting paper patched boolits & plain cast boolits at 1900 fps or above require hardened lead & a bullet that will obtruate the bore to prevent by-pass gases from melting the bullet as the gases by-pass which is one cause of leading.
    you can research all you need to know from the cast boolits site. common knowledge is only soft lead leads the bore but incorrect bullet size or too hard lead will too. also leading at the breech or near the muzzle will tell you about your lead hardness, powder charge & bullet size choice .....if my memory is correct.

if i knew more i'd gladly share but don't want to steer you wrong, check out the cast boolits site...... lots of stuff there....

good luck

s.m.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. imray

imray New Member

thanks sewerman, I hope your not THE sewerman I;ve herd about on urban legends that lives in sewers and likes to come out and rape girls named emily, ha ha, I just thought you ought to know about this info floating the urban legends site. seen your name and had to laugh, and thanks for the info on the cast boolits site, i'll check it out, sounds helpful, best wishes, ray
  6. sewerman

sewerman New Member

no, i'm not that nortorious!

i did time as a wastewater/utilites plants technician until i retired. my job smelt like poop to others but it was bread & butter to me!

hang tuff...p.s. most jug heads have no idea where that brown trout goes after the flush!

s.m.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I like wheel weights. I cast these for my 86' Winchester in 45-70. It seems most target shooters prefer a 20-1 lead to tin. I shoot WW in my 45-110 Sharps paper patch. It may not be a target grade load but it works. The paper patch makes any bullet more forgiving.

BHN Hardness of common scrap lead.

WW lead 12.0

WW stick on type 6.0

Pure lead 5.0
    Lead to tin
    10 to 1 11.5.0

20 to 1 10.0

30 to 1 8.0

40 to 1 6-7.0

Hardball lead 16.0

Linotype 18.0

Electro 16.5.0