Lead Sleds

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dianalv, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Does anyone have one of these, and if so, what kind? There seems to be a wide variety, with price ranges from $75 to over $200.

I was looking to get one for my dad, who is 68 and having trouble sighting in his rifles as accurately as he used to because he can't keep still enough now. I was thinking that maybe one of those you strap in and can fire remotely might be best, considering, but I don't want one that will damage the rifles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. Sandman

Sandman Member

I have shot from a Lead Sled, and it was pretty good. Not sure which model.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Dont get a cheap little one. Get one that fully holds the rifle. expect to pay 120.00. I purchased one with the cabelas name on it and it works great. I also purchased a syringe thing that pumps fluid to a guismo that attaches to your trigger. If you use these tools you can site in a rifle real quick. I mean real quick. ;)
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have used one for a couple of years, they are really good for zeroing. They will really absorb the recoil, I use 50 pounds of lead in the "sled". I paid about $120 for their mid-level one. Midway has that one on sale right now for $99.99, it is the one that I would recommend if you were getting one.
  5. dianalv

dianalv New Member

It seems like you are all agreed on not buying the cheapest one, but that it isn't necessary to shell out for the most expensive, either, to get one that will work. So just go for the one in the middle? Any particular features I should look for?
  6. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Any of the mid range and up Lead Sled brand models will suffice. I also did even more modifications to insure a more secure hold. The more weight the better. I only use the Led Sleds for ammo testing and zeroing the scope as it takes the human factor away.
    When shooting I always shoot with a bipod and a rear monopod if conditions apply.
  7. dianalv

dianalv New Member

My dad and I both would only be using it for sighting in the rifles, since I have tremors and he's just old. :) We both shoot mostly in field positions or off of shooting sticks, seeing as we are hunters.

Thanks for the advice.
  8. wleoff

wleoff New Member

I had major shoulder surgery last year. Lane Pearce recommended that I get a Lead Sled until my shoulders healed. I put 50 lbs of lead on mine. I was told that putting too much weight is bad on the stock. It can take up to 100 lbs of lead.

Mine has worked well. I've used it on rifles up to 8 mm and 375 H&H. I just finished sighting in a 1885 in 45-70 on it. I wouldn't use the Lead Sled for competition, but for plinking and sighting in a rifle for hunting, it works. Shooting off a bench is much harder on one's shoulder than free standing, except when using the Lead Sled.