1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Learning from each others mistakes.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by howlnmad, Mar 8, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I think I posted here a long time ago about it being a good thing for members to post their mistakes so others could possibly learn from them.

Well............. today I sat down to finally load up some 30-30 rounds to do a test. 20 rounds with a max charge of 34 grain of H-335. I made my list from 34 and worked down by .2 grain. I start weighing out my charges and seating my bullets (150 gr Core-Lokt). I got down to 33 gr. and double checked my list and I had screwed up the math. My numbers went from 33 gr to 30.8. Luckily I caught it before I had loaded them up and had to knock them apart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can NEVER double-check yourself enough. I know that screw up would not have been catastrophic but a screw up is a screw up. Don't ever think you can't make a mistake.
  2. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Now I feel comftable falling on my sword.When I first got my equipment set up I think I was a little impatient and made what could have been bad for my health and for my gun.When I set up my perfect powder scale from lee I didnt zero it out correctly.What I was loading was 45 acp fmj 230 grain bullet.I thought I was using 4.7 grains of powder from tightgroup.What I was actually loading at was around 7grains.I shot around 300 rounds loaded like this.Then I was asking JLA something and it dawned on me from what he was saying I didnt have my scales zeroed properly.Where I messed up was I put the ball on zero and didnt adjust the other end correctly resulting in to hot of a round.Thankfull from listening closely I figured it out before i did myself harm.I now have it set precisely and all is good..Thats why i bought the kenetic bullet hammer to take apart what I loaded wrong.I reloaded 200 rounds tonight for the weekend.I dont think ill ever stop learning,Ive always had a saying and it is ( you can learn something from the most ignorant person in the world if you just listen.But thats not the case on here.Id say there are some pretty bright people here that are more than willing to help.Even at midnight in the freezin cold.Ive witnessed it myself,you know who you are it rhymes with rudy and its moody.lol:)
  4. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    If you ever stop learning, you stop living.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I agree with ya all here. I have 13 years in this reloading game and i still have asked questions. I have learned lots of things from these guys here.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I learned a long time ago about making assumptions about what is a good load for a catridge.

When the 10mm first came out data was sparse to nonexistent. I made a rough guess that the loading spec should be the same as the 41Mag and loaded up some that way. The first shot seemed to have a bit more recoil than factory fodder and second shot pushed the primer out of the case during extraction. Fortunately I realized what problem was. I no longer assume anything about load levels. If it isn't in the book I don't load it.

Along the same lines a shooter beside me at the range was shooting a 1866 lever clone with the brass frame. This old guy just bought it new and assumed because it was 44-40 and the same bullet size as 44 mag that 44 mag specs would be OK for the load level. The second shot blew the head off the case and left the body of the case in the barrel. He had to have a gunsmith remove the rest of the case. I saw him sometime later and he had also bent the frame so that it would not feed ammo and he had to shoot it as a single shot.

LDBennett
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I had a simular mistake, in that I had moved the scale after zeroing it. I discovered that after I had moved it, it was no longer zeroed! Now I zero my scales each, and every, time I sit down to reload. It's the first thing I do.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thats sounds like a good idea thats one thing I have not done,no more time than its takes it cant hurt
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Most important thing you can do is concentrate and do not allow interuptions. Don't try to visit with your friends on the phone or have company while loading. If someone interrupes you, totally stop what you're doing and note where you are at before responding. Reloading is fun, money saving, and soothing, but can be very dangerous in so many ways. One needs to take it very serious! And, read those reloading manuals, they are written by experts!
  10. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I wholly agree making sure the scale is on a stable base so bumping the bench won't affect the zero. I also do a complete calibration procedure on my electronic dispensing scale each time I start it up. Weighing errors are very very easy to make and can have the worst results.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its also my firm belief that to teach is to learn twice..

Ive had my fair share of mistakes. luckily i still have all my digits and my eyebrows too.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And Ill strongly second the re-zeroing the scale at each use. I have noticed that a beam scale will lose its zero if you move it to the other side of the desk due to the minor differences in how level that particular spot it sits on is. And keep wind currents to a minimum. No fans or A/Cs during scale usage.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on that. The sad part is... I was doing the math for my load work-ups by myself and no background noise. It was just my stupidity.