Learning to reload?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ARB, May 8, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I have been interested for a while in the proccess of reloading. Just a couple of questions. How do you go about getting into it? Is it self taught? It seems that there could be some dire consequences or maybe just trial and error. Example: At the range the gentleman next to me was shooting reloads and powder was going everywhere. A older man that apparently knew what he was talking about came up to him and started giving him some do's and dont's, politely of course.
  2. army mp

army mp Member

you have come to a great place to start, saying that, the very first thing you need is a good reloading manual. Lyman, lee. Hornady, any of these will get you started. Read the Manual then decide if its something you want to do. Its not for everyone. But if you decide its something you want to do. It can be very addictive, and expensive
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Reloading is pretty much self taught. As mp says, start out with a manual and read it, better yet get a couple of manuals and them. The learning stuff is in the first 75 to 100 pages and the rest of the book is load data.

The next step would be choosing and buying your equipment. Every person who reloads has an opinion on what brand of press to buy, just look at some of the threads and you will see what I mean. I will not make any recommendations, at this time.

Once you start reloading, you will find that every once in a while you have to buy a new gun in a different caliber so you can reload for it. Reloading is almost as addicting as TFF is.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Very sound advice above. As an old reloader I have been surprised by the amount of information on the internet, from the manufacturers of the equipment. I wanted some powder info, and found exactly what I wanted very quickly.

As a footnote, reloading is no more difficult or complicated than driving a car. But like driving you need to learn, and pay attention when doing it.
  5. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Read, read and read some more.
    Then when you do start to reload, go slow, start on a nice single stage press with one caliber to get the feel of things. Don't get distracted while reloading and if you are not sure, pull the cartridge apart and start anew.
    Don't try to get the max from your rounds right out the gate as it is doubtful that it will be the most accurate and squeezing that trigger will be a whole lot more relaxing if you are not bumping against max loads right at first.

If you are lucky enough to find an experienced reloader, great, but listen a lot before you take his preaching as gospel. Although the vast majority of us are careful considerate and safety conscious, there are a few loons lurking about and the certainty of their message is many times a sign to beware.
    See his set up and watch him reload- does he do it in a thoughtful manner or "cowboy" the process. Any disregard for the process is a sign to run and try to be at least 5 lanes away when he touches off those rounds.

Just a few ramblings from an old but always learning reloader. As I am fond of telling others in my chosen profession-"just because I have done it this way for 45 years means nothing as I could have been doing it wrong the entire time".

Gary
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

312, thanks for the links, I just added the Lyman manual in my want list. When I saw they have the 5.7X28 info, I decided in needed the book!
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

(from a previously posted reply)
    My advice would be this; Do you know anyone that reloads? Is there a gun club nearby? You're bound to find someone in the area that reloads, if possible, get some hands on some equipment, become familiar with the reloading manuals and machine set-ups and you'll be much more able to make a decision on whether or not you'd be interested in reloading.
    As you can see from this forum, it's very addicting and enjoyable.

Semper Fi - Woolley
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

To potential and new reloaders:

While learning from a fellow reloader seems the thing to do, unfortunately the average new reloader has little knowledge that will tell him if the teacher follows the rules or "cowboys" it (thanks gary0529 for that terminology as it fits perfectly).

I think it better to initially read all the manuals, study them, compare them until you are thoroughly familiar with the processes. Then buy a video, if you need to "see" the process. Try this one from Hornady, a respected bullet and reloading equipment company:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=877694&t=11082005

Don't buy any equipment or components until you do all of the above. From that determine the type of press and ancillary equipment that makes the most sense for your reloading. But be aware that you can buy equipment that limits you future reloading so allow for expansion of your reloading calibers, both handgun and rifle, and allow for the fact that eventually the speed of reloading will become important.

Of course, we are always here to provide answers to questions and opinions and suggestion on reloading equipment and processes. Do ask question if you have them. No question is stupid if you don't understand something after a thorough study of reloading.

LDBennett
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There are many valid points to both sides of the learning aspect and Yes, I do think one needs to be very aware of those that load with disregard to acceptable practices. If one reads the manuals ( plural for a reason ) and learns from someone trusted, I think anyone can discern a safe reloader from a reckless accident seeker. And if they can't, they're already the ones that will try it on their own and end up reckless anyways. If they're on here asking questions, I think they're off to a good start at discernability already.
    ( I'll refrain from using the term cowboy, really confuse people when we start talking about how much TrailBoss we use for our "cowboy" loads )
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

do it just do it. it's not rocket science. be safe. very rewarding
  12. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Many points are already been discussed:

Check and doublecheck your data and your components
    Don't take others advice as gospel - always verify
    Better safe then sorry - start slow and take your time

I was happy to find that there was a shop about 1/2 hour from my house that does free reloading classes for both beginners and intermediate reloaders. It was a great help in getting comfortable with different equipment, terms, and do's and don'ts from a real expert. If you can find one to get your feet wet it will help answer many questions for you.
  13. Freebore

Freebore New Member

If you have a Cabelas store near you..... I know some have relaoding clinics (and classes) available from time to time, this may help.