Leather or plastic holsters?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Jun 23, 2008.

?

What do members prefer, Leather or Plastic Holsters

1. Leather Holsters

51 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. Plastic Holsters

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Tranter....With retention you can have a holster with zero retention degrees to level III devices. Like the Safariland 070 SSIII and Safariland 0705 Belt Drop Level III, "features a top snap thumb break, middle finger release tab, patented molded ejection port or cylinder detent and decoy side strap which together provide the highest possibly degree of weapon retention."
    It is safe to say you'd need to "re-learn" to draw from such a holster.

Many LE departments have a policy for Level II retention holsters etc. I believe the Sheriff Dept where I live just have simple nylon thumbreak holsters.

The main thing to realize I guess is weapon retention must be excersized in layers. Even with mechanical retention devices, the owner of the weapon must understand and practice retention techniques and avoid being an easy target for a gun grabber.

The thumbreak on a holster is a very personal choice...it will vary from person to person and each will have a good reason for the choice....kinda like argueing automatic transmission vs stick drive or closed-face fishing reel vs open-face reel. I like a leather IWB holster on strong-side with no thumbreak, but on a shoulder holster I always feel better about having a thumbreak....I don't know why but it feels right.

Black Hawk are great holsters. I think every unit I've been in bought and issued holsters and modular pouches from Black Hawk. Carrying a service sidearm at work I prefer a drop-thigh holster when in full kit because it's out of the way....a lot of guys like attaching a holster to their body armor but I've avoided that habit because in accidental water emergency I'd drop that vest fast....dressed slicked down I like a simple nylon universal shoulder holster because it carries the weapon and spare mag under my left arm and I can drop it to relax with one unsnapped hook.

I always use a thumbreak on a duty sidearm. I also have no problem using a modern coil-stretch lanyard.

Pistol...a handgun is secondary, which is a tiny reason why you double secure that badboy! The other reason is though that if it gets seperated from you...it is now a serious primary problem! Just like any sensetive items like NVD, radios, explosive devices, etc....you go the extra mile to tie it down so you don't experience the drama of searching miles for the kit you lost!

I once lost a rifle upon exiting a Chinook ramp in the pitch black night at an altitude of zero feet. My hands were full so the weapon was across my side with a 3-point sling. When I dropped off the ramp the plastic keepers on the sling snapped. I never felt it because of the rotorwash. The guy behind me brought me my weapon and it was kinda embarrassing because he asked, "is this your weapon??" and I said, "Hell no mine is???@#%%$%^&$...thank you brother!!!" Extreme heat and cold and lots of sunlight had degraded the plastic sling keepers until they were too weak to absorb shock. That totally changed what type of combat sling I buy or let my guys use.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I like plastic
  3. bosun1

bosun1 New Member

I carry a 1911 on duty (security guard) the blackhawk Serpa kidex locking plastic holster . I think is the best.
  4. bosun1

bosun1 New Member

IT WILL BE OK IN THE END,,IF IT AINT OK. IT AINT THE END
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The retention issue is an important one, I remember twenty odd years ago most LE officers that got shot were shot with their own gun. I actually invented a device and had it patented to help fight this, but never had the money to take it forward.

The officer had a sort of electronic piper like you get for your car lock. If his gun was grabbed he hit the button and a pin shot into the working parts, locking the action.

The people I talked to preferred it to the later ideas for a gun that was locked until unlocked with a magnetic ring or similar. I think the idea of hitting the street with an unlocked sidearm you can lock was better that having a locked one that you hope will unlock when needed. If that's clear? I also met some prison officers who liked the idea of being able to lock all the guns in a section of the prison with and electronic signal, such as when overrun in a riot.
  6. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'm a fan of leather. It just feels better and looks better to me.
  7. infidel_2_dabone

infidel_2_dabone New Member

I just recieved mine for my Glock and I really like it. I will order 2 more for my other CCW.

Glock 23
    H&K USP .45 TAC.
    S&W 686 + .357 MAG 3"BRL.

Attached Files:

8. redhart

redhart New Member

Only use plastic for IPSC
  9. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I like leather because it breaths and it's natrual.
  10. Jay

Jay New Member

Leather is better looking, and not as rough on the firearm. Most important..... John Wayne never used a plastic holster. :rolleyes:
  11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It may be for the wrong reasons, but I would no more use a plastic holster that a ready made bow tie.

Thing is they are both fine, it's just that I am a bit old school.
  12. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Leather, because it has character.
  13. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

use a serpa double retention for work (though sometimes only use one of them-pending the call i'm responding to), and prefer the plastic for work purposes, but overall, like the leather, especially for concealed/off-duty