Leather strop usage and care

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by johnlives4christ, Oct 25, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i made this strop tonight. took a piece of old belt i had, sanded off the finish that was on the surface to expose the fine leather then glued it to a piece of plywood

also have this little strop block i made out of a piece of a swanky womans boot. i been using some honing compound on this one.

should i use the compound on the new one too? will it make a finer edge just with the leather or with the compound? i know the compound will cut faster.

i know that stropping can and will produce a razors edge. and i've dont this over the years with everything from my belt to these strops.

any advice on usage or care?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Use the plain leather. You can put compound on a paint stick.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well i tried it with the plain leather and it wouldnt give my knife an edge. but the old one i normally use does pretty good. the only thing i can think of is that the leather is too hard? cause the one i been using is real soft. and the one i made is stiff as a board before it was glued to a board

bill, could you recommend a book about knife sharpening? im interested in some of the finer points about it, and also the history of it.

would also be interested in a book about knife history if you could recommend one of them also.

~john
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

John,

This is probably one of the best reads on knife sharpening that I have ever come across. It will help you to understand the "whys and the "how-to's"

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/