Leave it to Gov. Chris Christie to clean up....

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by chubcobear, Dec 22, 2010.

1. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Some people may note that getting a sentence commuted is not the same as getting a pardon. If he were pardoned, he would have no legal standing to challenge the constitutionality of the law that put him behind bars.
    I think we may even get a bonus win if his lawyers can successfully argue that the law itself is unconstitutional.
  3. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Unfortunately, commuting the sentence does not expunge the conviction from the record, which means this law abiding citizen will never be allowed to own firearms again.

How's that for a bunch of BS!? This dude should move south, most tic!
  4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Evan Nappen is one of Aitkin's attorneys so we may be seeing 'wheels within wheels' at work here. Governor Christie declined re-appoint the trial judge over the Democratic machine's vociferous objections. But then they've a long history of giving favorable treatment to minority violators of either federal or NJ gun laws.....

Governor Christie did give Aitkin a nice Christmas present, however you look at it. Right now he's out of prison and is free to work in order to afford pursuing appeals. This, alone, is downright amazing in the terminally hoplophobic PDRNJ ! There's also the possibility Aitkin can seek "expungement" of his NJ record some ten years' hence.......

There's a number of rocks in this case I suspect no one in NJ government - or the NJSP - want overturned. Aitkins apparently can document his attempts to comply with NJ firearms laws by prior contacts with the NJSP but received no help. Not good PR or law IMO ! Then there's the question of "qualified exemptions" to NJ firearms laws that, defacto, may be unconstitutional in several areas.

For now let's celebrate Mr. Aitkin is free to celebrate Christmas with his family ! >MW
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  6. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

+1
  7. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Contrary to good manners and board rules I'll make this comment to some replies to this thread:

Its easy to strut when its not your future on the line.....That Mr. Aitken was mousetrapped by NJ law, and his defense thwarted by a capricious bench is evident. But how many posting here have faced the same threat ? Its easy to 'strut an preen' when it costs nothing......

Am I angry ? You bet ! But my anger is divided !

As a resident of the PDRNJ I don't like its capricious and convoluted gun laws permitting the prosecution of even non-resident gun owners for inadvertant violations while letting minority criminal elements "slide"......

But I also deeply resent posts with "throwoff lines" ala "when injustice......" implying the victim hasn't 'lived up to code'........As if they would/could faced with the same quandry !

I sincerely wish gun owners/supporters would think a little more before they post to a public forum ! We need to present a logical, concise and a mutually respectiful visiage to anyone outside our precincts. Being a minority, we can't afford to turn away anyone with an open mind regarding our bias. >MW
  8. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

My most sincere thoughts on the matter: Why in the hell would anyone want to live there? Especially a gun owner. I have had the misfortune of visiting NJ and NY on a few occassions, and I could never leave fast enough. I will not be going back to those criminal safe haven states until there is another funeral to attend, and possibly not even then. If you do live there, then surely you have realized by this point that as a gun owner, you are reviled. The only change in gun laws that you can expect is that they will get worse. Much worse. I would hope that these folks who truly realize that they have a social obligation to not only own firearms, but carry them on their person on a daily basis, will move at that point. We don't like yankees a bit down here, but we would welcome another supporter of the second amendment (along with the remainder of the amendments and their parent document) with open arms.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

So you would rather we just sit here and be silent? And what do you mean "throwoff line?"

Guess ya can't say anything without offending someone.
  10. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

This guy was convicted for high cap magazines and hollow point bullets. Dumb law, but they are the law in New Jersey.

There is a lot to this case that makes no sense, but I am glad that Governer Christie got him out of prison. A courageous act for a Republican politician in a freaky Liberal state.
  11. dge479

dge479 New Member

Well, sometimes it is not a matter of want,but a need. It is where my elderly family lives. My job of 16 years is here etc. at some point, not that far off we are out of here.I will not come back unless Christie continues to positively change stuff for the better. Gun laws are but a small part of NJs deep problems.