1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Leaving for AZ This Week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnBrainard, Jan 29, 2012.

1. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I'm heading out on Wednesday and anticipate being there Friday evening or Saturday morning.

How long is it considered safe to leave the New York plates on my truck?

If it's any consolation, I'd be tempted to run me off the road too!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'd yank them as soon as I cross the Mississippi and take my chances from there. Get your AZ asap !!

Congrats on your move, I think you'll find AZ a much more friendly state.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good luck John , enjoy your new place ,
  4. geds

geds New Member

Safe travels and good luck in the new location - just remember, its a dry heat so you're not really as hot as you think you are! ;)
  5. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I hear it's a dry heat in my oven too! :p
  6. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

That's what I was figuring. I'm counting on the people in Arizona being much friendlier than they are in New York and a lot less liberal! Though, I did see a few Obama stickers out there the last time I visited.... around the time of the 2008 elections.
  7. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So is an oven!

At least AZ is an open and concealed state. It seems kinda funny to see some old codger with a six shooter strapped on.

I was just out in the Barry Goldwater range with a 45 on the hip when a border patrol stopped to chat. No words about the gun at all so it must be an every day thing around here.
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I so wanna go! If my wife weren't so rooted in her job here I'd be on the "Last Train To Clarksville".
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

Congratulations on your successful escape!
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We lived there (Phoenix) from '91 to '99. Of the 6 places we lived, I thought it was the best.

The clue is to make it through one Summer, then you'll be fine. Plan on buying a NEW car battery every 12 months. I laughed when I heard that and sure enough, all of our cars failed after 1 year. And I always bought top of the line batteries.

Get your car/truck windows tinted as soon as you can. It makes a large difference.

I found the people to be extremely friendly, as generally they were all from somewhere else as well. It's hard to find a native Arizonian.

Enjoy the land. I think that Arizona is the only state to have 7 different eco zones in it. Truly a magnificent place. I could be eating breakfast outdoors on my patio in a cotton sweater and drive 2 hours North and go downhill skiing.

Drink water constantly. You have no concept about how fast you sweat it out, as with the low humidity, you never get clammy.

One last hint, do NOT register them all at one time. Unless things have changed, AZ basically charges you a sales tax each year based on the vehicle so you don't want them all (we had 4) coming due on the same day.

You'll never want to go back to NY.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

New Yok City! Get a rope!

Attached Files:

12. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

There are many reasons to switch your plates... all of them having to do with saving money!

Registration for your AZ plates would likely be much cheaper than what you are currently paying in NY. You can also opt for a reduced rate 5-year registration!

On your driver's license as well. My AZ DL expires in 2035...

Have a safe drive. And yeah... Congrats!
  13. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Drivers licenses expire on your 65th birthday. You have to take an eye test and buy a new license every 12 years unless you move, in which case you have to get a new license so it resets. After 65 you have to renew it every 5 years.

More importantly no matter where you are there is somewhere close by that is extremely cheap to shoot. Whether it be one of the public outdoor ranges that are $7-8 for unlimited bench time or out in the desert for free. If you are an indoor type of guy there are plenty of those around too. I am not into spending that amount of money given the other options mentioned.
  14. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Wife and I are seriously looking at picking up some decent acreage out in the boonies and just living in a large travel trailer, Arizona is one of the states we are looking at. Gotta stick around long enough for her workmans' comp lawsuit to get settled, then the serious looking starts.
  15. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Welcome! Here's what you asked,
    http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp

Yes, carry water in your car, even in winter, or what we loosely call winter here. :)
    dons3246, that wouldn't be remarked upon in or out of town. We've had open carry here for 100 years, literally. We are a Constitutional Carry state now, but this link, http://azleg.gov/ ,will give you access to all Arizona Revised Statutes and every aspect of state government.
    Once again, welcome to Free AZ!