Leaving Pistol in Car all Winter?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by FranklyTodd, Nov 28, 2007.

1. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Hypothetically, does anyone see any problem leaving a pistol in a vehicle through winter, especially a polymer one (yes, properly secured)?

Two problems I can imagine - super-cold weather making the polymer brittle, and the constant freezing and warming could cause condensation...

Please don't say it can get stolen - I can see that risk...;)
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I would not be concerned about the polymer in cold weather, but I WOULD be concerned about the condensation. I once left a firearm in an area that had regular temperature fluctuations. (not even close to as much fluctuations as your car would have)

Next time I handled this firearm, it had corrosion on many of the metal parts, and even had damage to the finish on the stock. Made me sick to my stomach.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have an old Charter .38 that was engraved (cold-blued in the engraving) that I left in the car for 2 years with no maintenance.
    It simply would not rust anywhere-even where it was cold blued. Strange.
    Now if I had really CARED about it rusting, it would have frozen up in about a month!
    Regular care and inspection/oiling should keep it looking good.
  4. I think that is the key, Bill. I keep a Mod 36 Smith as my "truck" gun and it stays in the glove box year round. I do, however, check it frequently and make absolutely certain it is kept properly oiled. As for the polymer, I seriously doubt the temperature alone would have any effect on it.
  5. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

In Louisiana it is legal to keep a weapon in your vehicle, and I've had one longer than I can remember: of course, extreme cold is not an issue, but humidity is. I've never had a problem with one rusting or becoming 'sluggish' due to cold, but there is one caveat. I don't oil firearms. Well, almost never: occasionally apply Lubriplate to bearing surfaces. I use silicon spray to lube most of my weapons: plain old silicon spray from Wal-Mart or Auto Zone. I spray it down liberally and allow the carrier to evaporate off before putting it away. It doesn't rust. It doesn't corrode. It doesn't allow water to contact the metal. It doesn't leave any film to accumulate dust and form crud. And it doesn't get 'old' or lose it's lubricating value.
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

Im not sure about the polymer, but I dont think it will really get damaged if you just take a look at it every once in a while, and I know you can buy silicon-intergrated rags to wrap pistols in, and I was told by an old vet that they'd last forever wraped in one of those so it might be worth giving it a try
    Luke
  7. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

You can do the same with "CRC" that we used to use in machine shops. Spray and let drip dry. Nothing is more prone to surface rust than a newly machined engine head, crankshaft, etc. Machinists young and old swear by it. Of course I've been out of the craft since 1974 when I became a police officer.
  8. hankroberts

hankroberts New Member

Yep: I've used CRC as well, and it works just fine. I use the silicon spray because I found it the most inexpensive product that would do what I wanted. two things I failed to mention, though.

1. You have to be careful, particularly with older weapons (most current mfg don't have the problem) that the carrier doesn't damage wood finish or plastic parts (like grips).

2. Silicon Spray, once applied, is tenacious: if you decide to refinish the firearm, you'll have a devil of a time getting it off so the new finish will take. I made the mistake of coating an 'in the white' 1911 slide to prevent rust until I could either blue or parkerize it: when I got ready to do the work, thought I was going to have to sandblast it to get the finish to take!
  9. obxned

obxned New Member

I have no doubt if you haven't smothered it in really bad grease that it will function flawlessly. However, it would serve you right after showing your faithful partner such a lack of affection if it blew up in your face. My wife would.
  10. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

Two ways I go to re-blue:

1. Boil the part with a drop of ammonia

2. Bake in oven at 200 degrees for about 1 hour and wipe with CLEAN cloth and then wash with hot water and bleach.

Works for me.

jeanp1948
  11. A-Zo

A-Zo New Member

I've been wondering the same thing, about leaving a weapon in your vehicle. I've had one in my truck for about 2 months, then I took it out figuring it would be better off inside. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P, so it's mostly polymer, however I was worried about the condensation as well. I could see how it can be damaged without proper maintenance.
  12. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

What kind of pistol is it? If it's a Glock or Sig Pro I wouldn't be concerned about any amount of moisture.
  13. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

RIP:

If your question is of me (original poster), it's either a Glock 27 or a Smith M&P340 .357 snub depending on the day.

The question is kind of moot, because as hard as I've tried I really can't think of an alternative, so I'm going to leave it there, check/clean/oil it often, and if it shortens the life of the gun, I'll have to get another... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

FranklyTodd