The Firearms Forum banner

Lee 125gr .356 9mm molds

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Haligan 
#1 ·
Lee advertises that there is no need to size the .356 9mm bullets from their molds. Anybody have the Lee 356 125gr round nose mold and find that they need to size?

-Thanks

#2 ·
Lee advertises that you don't need to size their TL bullets. I don't think they say that about all their bullets. Seems like that would be counter productive. If you don't need to size their bullets, then you don't need to buy their bullet sizers. I don't think they will tell you that you do not need to buy a product they make.

If you're talking about the 356-125-2R, that's a standard grease-groove bullet, and should probably need sized. If you mean the TL356-124-2R, that's the tumble lube bullet, and doesn't need it.

#3 ·
Lee makes most all their moulds to throw bullits .001" larger than the jacketed bullet size. Other brands of moulds cast .002"-.003" larger. As-cast has been fine for me with Lee moulds. Re-sizing softens the outside of the bullets which isn't always good. I have the Lee sizers in three calibers mostly to seat gas checks.

#4 ·
Lee makes most all their moulds to throw bullits .001" larger than the jacketed bullet size. Other brands of moulds cast .002"-.003" larger. As-cast has been fine for me with Lee moulds. Re-sizing softens the outside of the bullets which isn't always good. I have the Lee sizers in three calibers mostly to seat gas checks.
How do you do that? Run them up backwards? Or does sizing them normally work?

So far, all my use with them has been pistol bullets, without gas checks. Got some rifle I need to do.

#5 ·
Normal sizing operation seats Hornady primers on bullets made for gaschecks. It crimps them in place. Only bad thing is after running bullets thru the Lee sizers is that the bullet has to be lubed (I'm now using liquid alox) first & then after sizing they have to be lubed again. I was getting bored with my 450 lubrisizer. I havn't tried seating gaschecks in the Lee sizers by running them backwards part way into the sizer. Then I guess you'd have to somehow punch them out from the top. It'd work I guess.

#6 ·
Reloading for me is not like work. I don't mind the extra step. I have many Lee bullet molds, I swage(size) all my cast projectiles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.