Lee Auto Primer question...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bluesea112, May 24, 2008.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

After weighing the pros and cons of my cartridge priming method, I decided to retire my wooden mallet. Although I have primed thousands of cartridges with no accidents, I decided that the .000001% chance of losing an eye was not worth the expense of a Lee Auto Primer. (Just for the record I am not cheap, I am frugal.) Anyway, I parted with my hard earned $15.00 and received the Lee Auto Primer in the mail the other day. The problem I am having is that the case holder from my press does not seem to work with the Auto Primer. The cartridge case holder from my Lee press slides into the Auto Primer, but the piston rod in the Auto Primer is not long enough to travel through the case holder to seat the primer in the cartridge case.

Question: Is there a special cartridge case holder that I am suppose to use with the Lee Auto Primer, other than the one from my Lee press?

Thanks for your help.

Bluesea112
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Thank you for the information Popgunner. I appreciate your help.

Bluesea112
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Popgunner is correct, the auto prime requires special holders. I choose not to use the Lee auto prime due to the limitation on primer brands that can be used (see their safety warning). Instead, I use the Lee ram prime - despite it being much slower. In any case, be sure to use eye protection with any brand.
  5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Everything said about the Lee Auto-Prime tool is correct. The shell holders are specialized and it's on the spendy side. It is however the best priming tool I've ever used and I highly recommend it.
  6. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

I've used the Lee autoprime and the RCBS universal hand primer, and prefer the latter. It is more expensive, but it does not need separate shell holders. It also has a large detachable square tray that is easier to load from factory primer packages. It uses the whole hand to activate, rather than just the thumb on the Lee.

Andy
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I use the lee single stage press with the primer feeder mounted on to the press.with the case in the holder I pull the lever and run the case up into the die ,while I have it up I swing the primer loader over and it rests on the primer arm and I just click the button and it pops the primer in the insert and then I bring the lever up and press it in.Slicker than a whisle
  8. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I also use the Lee hand primer and the RCBS hand primer. I keep the RCBS busy with .45 cap large pistol primers and two Lee units, one with shell holder for .38/.357 and one for 40 cal. I used to use the RCBS press for priming, but decided it is faster for me to use hand primers. I have a Lee Turret press, and the priming system Lee sends with those, but it is too iffy, prefer hand priming, I can do that inside at my computer desk.
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've used the Lee auto Primer consistantly. The primer system on my RCBS progressive press doesn't work all that well so I hand prime. It gives me an extra chance to check the brass and clean the primer pockets. RCBS would probably help me sort the priming station on the press; they have a great customer service policy.

The worst problem I had with the primer was when I was trying to prime military cases without having swaged out the primer pocket crimp well enough. I got a new hand primer.