Lee Bulge Buster

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by vulcrider, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. vulcrider

    vulcrider Member

    Nov 6, 2006
    Saw an add for Lee Bulge Buster kit in the latest Guns and Ammo, Was wondering if anyone has seen or is aware of this kit.
    Lee doesn't show it on their web site and neither do Midway, Cabelas or CTD.

    Any thoughts?
  2. zkovach

    zkovach Well-Known Member

    Oct 7, 2009
    what is it never heard of it?

  3. Alpo

    Alpo Well-Known Member

    Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    Google has exactly one hit on it. This thread. I, also, would like to know what it is.
  4. vulcrider

    vulcrider Member

    Nov 6, 2006
    Could not get ahold of Lee on the phone today. I e-mailed an inquiry and will post the answer when available.
    Supposedly a die to remove the slight bulge at the base of straight wall pistol cartridges that forms when firing from an unsupported chamber.
    Seems like a worthwhile tool, but until more info is available, I will wait to deciede if it is truley needed.
  5. Alpo

    Alpo Well-Known Member

    Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    Seems like I heard about someone doing that with 40 Smith. They took a Factory Crimp Die and removed the crimping part. They took the pusher from a Lee bullet sizing die and used it instead of a shellholder. And just pushed the loaded round all the way through the FCD,
  6. ckelley

    ckelley Member

    Jan 19, 2010
    North Dakota
  7. vulcrider

    vulcrider Member

    Nov 6, 2006
    Rec'd this from Lee today:

    Thank you for considering Lee Precision. Currently the Bulge Buster is only available in 40 S&W, but if it proves to be popular we will make it in other calibers. They are not currently available, but should be in a week or two.
  8. Popgunner

    Popgunner Active Member

    Dec 3, 2005
    It's just the same setup as Lee's bullet sizers. you put a stem/ram on your press instead of a shellholder & then ram cases up thru a sizer die & into a holding chamber. Just like their bullet sizers. There's an ad for it in this month's Guns & ammo magazine.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  9. vulcrider

    vulcrider Member

    Nov 6, 2006
    Sorta got it figured out after doing some research. Has anyone had a problem with the "bulge" that is described in the ad's? I occasionally see a slight bulge on some brass I bought from a friend who works at a non-ferrous scrap dealer. The bulge was still there after de-priming and sizing. So far, the reloaded rounds have worked in both a Taurus PT92and a Hi-Point C-9. So, I wonder if the "Bulge Buster" is really necessary.
  10. flarooster42

    flarooster42 New Member

    Feb 18, 2012
    Cocoa, Florida
    I bought the 45 bulge buster I belive from Midway and it works great! Had some 45 brass with a slight expansion near the base. Didnt realize this untill I loaded 200 rounds.So I bought the Lee Bulge Buster and run the loaded 45 though the die and shazam! Cases fit into case gage now!I'm going to buy the 40 S&W next. Great tool for your reloading arsenal!
  11. soundguy

    soundguy Well-Known Member

    May 8, 2012
    is it designed to run loaded ammo thru.. or as a case prep before loading?
  12. howlnmad

    howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

    Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    Never heard of running loaded rounds through one, just brass. You can use a FCD also. Take the crimp section out of the top and use a piece of shortened rifle brass that just fits inside your pistol brass and run them through case head first.
  13. JohnTheCalifornian

    JohnTheCalifornian Member

    Jun 12, 2009
    I bet running loaded ammunition through those bulge busters could result in seating bullets deaper and raising pressures. It's just a thought, although, I don't think I would run loaded ammunition through one just for that reason. Not to mention, you may set one off......

    After thinking about it.........

    Unless you are running one through the entire die at a time, then I suppose it would be okay. Guess I am just envisioning it like the sizing die for cast bullets. There is usually 2 or 3 inside the die that get pushed against each other.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  14. stev32k

    stev32k Well-Known Member

    Oct 19, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I have the kit and use it to de-bulge .40 S&W brass before reloading. You remove the internals from a Lee factory crimp die and install the bulge buster collar in the die. Then use the press to push the brass though the die and into a plastic catch pan on top.

    I de-bulge all my .40 brass. Most of the cases do not need it, but there are always a few that do.
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
The Ammo & Reloading Forum Lee Bulge Buster Kit vs 9mm Nov 13, 2013
The Ammo & Reloading Forum 45 auto bulge buster Jan 21, 2013
The Ammo & Reloading Forum 40 S&W bulged Brass Jan 14, 2016
The Ammo & Reloading Forum 45 acp case bulge Nov 19, 2015
The Ammo & Reloading Forum Gen 3 Glocks and 40S&W case bulge May 22, 2015