Lee Classic Turret vs. RCBS Rock chucker

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by starman, May 25, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

So which one would be the best of the two and why. Quality is as important as speed so keep that in mind. I watched several U-Tube video's and the Lee Classic seems to work smooth. Can you trust the powder measure once set or would it be best to check every six or so rounds. I've used the Rockchucker that belongs to my brother in law and it works nice but of course is slower.
    Here's a link to the Lee Kit https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Now what else other than a tumbler & media would I need to get started loading 38spl & 357mag. with this Lee Kit

Here's a link to the Rockchucker kit that seems to include everything except die set and shell holder, cost is quite a bit higher
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

The price of the Lee kit is $100 less and includes turret w/ one set of die's so why is it so much cheaper ??? than a RCBS Kit. Is there that big of a quality difference?

Here's one more of Lee's
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690938

Thanks
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I use the pro auto disk. I load 4.2 grains of Titegroup in 9mm and every time I double check a powder drop it weighs 4.2 grains. I have had the same experience with Bullseye, HS-6, W748 and H335. The pro auto disk measure seems to be very consistant.
    Rusty
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Everyone around here makes fun of my simple Lee press, Oh it will wear out, Oh they make them so cheap etc. have used Lee for years with no problems. RCBS makes a fine product, there is no doubt of that but so does Lee. One thing though Lee hase a 2 year warranty, after that they will rebuild anything for half of what it sells, from what I understand RCBS has a lifetime warranty though I dont know how good they stand behind it.
  4. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Howdy Gents

I've had a RCBS Rock Chucker since 1984, I have never had a problem with it from day 1, it's a great design and built to last. I also just got the new up graded Hornady LNL AP progressive, and love it, I will most likely use it mostly for hand gun calibers, but if I go to the 223 I will load it too, a good progressive is a wonderful time saver for calibers that you shoot a lot of, I have a good friend that uses a Lee Classic Turret Press, and has been loading on it for three years now, He loves it too, I think he's over 20,000 rounds on it now, and it makes great ammo, the LEE Classic Turret may be one I will add to my line up next, I find I like having more than one press set up, as long as there is still enough space to put them.

Regards

tEN wOLVES :)
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I own a Lee Turret Press That I have had for about 35 years, and I have never had a problem with it. I have loaded many thousands of rounds with it. You might also want to know that all of the Lee press products are made right here in America, not so with some other companies. This is the setup that I have.

Attached Files:

6. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

That's a great point and one I try to include in what I buy even more than I used to. I know the RCBS frames are made in China, not sure what else. From what I have heard from old timers is that RCBS is the original no BS warranty and Dillon is second, OK flame suit on.:D
    Rusty
  7. WRC

WRC Member

I have a Lee Challenger single stage press I purchased when on a budget sometime around 1990. Never a problem and I load many different pistol and rifle calibers. As all single stage presses, it is slow, but, always puts out accurate ammunition. A turret wouldn't cost much more and would be much faster. Lee makes a reliable product for a very fair price. Just my two cents worth!

Bill