Lee "Deluxe" carbide dies my A...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mac0083, May 24, 2009.

1. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

Two weeks ago I finally got some of my lee reloading equipment order. While I'm waiting on the rest, I went ahead and set it up. Yesterday I returned to find the dies RUSTing in a hurry. I brushed them down with wd40 and some of the rust came off. The lee turret press also was showing some rust.
    We live in an age of "made in china cheap" tools that are all stainless steel. I make an All-American purchase and it rusts in two weeks.
    What do you gentlemen use on your equipment to...
    (A) stop the rust from occuring
    (B) remove the current rust w/o harming the dies
    (C) should I wear disposable gloves while handling lee products

Thank You Gentlemen, for all of your responses and sharing your knowledge.
  2. broomhandle

broomhandle Member

I keep a lightly oiled sheepskin pad on my reloading bench to wipe off dies after using.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

One thing that will keep rust out of your reloading inventory is auctioning the Lee equipment on Ebay!
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've reloading with Lee Kit with their 45 acp dies for 6 months. I have had no problem whatsoever. The biggest problem I had was trying to understand their instructions. YouTube fixed that.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

i have real old lee equiptment. no problems. sorry to hear about this. i guess buy someone else. :eek:
  6. Blackout

Blackout New Member

How is the humidity in your reloading room?

My reloading room is in a dry upstairs room. But I have a hobby room in the basement that I need to run either a space heater or dehumidier to keep dry.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The guy lives in florida blackout. Car frames dont stand a chance in a muggy gulf coastal climate. I have NEWer lee equipment now for 4 years that have yet to rust. I clean and oil them after each use with rem oil. FYI, stainless steel is actually a mislabeled material. They should officially rename it to rust resisitent steel. The ingredient added to obtain its rust resistent properties is nickel. The amount of nickel will have a direct effect on its rust resistence but the more nickel you have the less strength the dies will have. Nickel is a very brittle metal so if they made solid nickel dies, which could withstand 100 years at the bottom of the sea, they would probably cost far more than they are worth and shatter on the first case. If I were you mac, Id get some dessicants to keep in the boxes with your die sets and keep your reloading equipment well lubed. or move to a drier climate;)
  8. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

JLA, I hear that Texas is reaffirming their 10th amendment State rights. I'll be right there, with my rusty lee press in hand!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

bring it on brother, the more the merrier. We can sit back in a cloud of pistol smoke while the rest of the country falls down around our ears;)