lee dies??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 444 marlin, Oct 20, 2011.

1. 444 marlin

444 marlin New Member

have any of you guys used the deluxe rifle dies with the collet neck sizer die? Does it work ok? any problems?
    thanks for your time and advise
    Wayne
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Sizing was OK, had other problems. Overall I don't prefer Lee rifle dies, Lee pistol dies are fine for me. I had problems with the seating depth varying all over the place... just turn the seating die upside down, shake it around, and look inside and the seating steam moves all over... I switched to Forster and haven't looked back, rock solid... seats consistently within +/- 0.001 every time. I know RCBS, Hornady, etc. make fine seating dies as well.
  3. 444 marlin

444 marlin New Member

I am looking at the forester dies,I have there coaxial press,it was a bonaza back when I bought it.
    Thanks Wayne
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have some of the earlier LEE collet dies. Typical of LEE they used the wrong materials for the collet and the die body. The result was the two galled together and required regular stoning to get them to operate smoothly or at all. There is nothing wrong with a Neck Size only die from anyone else or even a Full Length Sizing Die backed off so the shoulder of the case is not touched by the die.

LEE regular dies internal finish is no match for that of others like RCBS, or Hornady, for example. You get what you pay for. The LEE collet die is a good concept but it must be implemented well or galling is one of the pitfalls. The same goes for the LEE Rifle Factory Crimp Die since it too uses collet action to work and I have had trouble with them too.

Buy whatever you want but just remember the saying "you get what you pay for".

LDBennett
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I can agree the lee dies are manufactured with lower standards and material. The galling is a factor in certain dies, and have proven themselves as such on my bench. However, the factory crimp dies are worth every penny. I reload some odd, low quantity cartriges such as 32acp and 50ae with them due to the infrequent and low use, it doesnt justify a more costly set.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i guess im the exception,the only problem ive ever had was a broken decapping pin. old semperfi
  7. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Save your breath semperfi, been down this road. Used almost exclusively LEE dies for many thousands of rounds, no problems!
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youre not the only exception old semperfi. I have been using Lee dies since I took up reloading almost a decade ago. They make accurate and concentric ammo for me, both pistol and rifle.

heres some .30-06 ammo i just finished loading not 15 minutes ago for my M1, and a .589" group I fired with my .308 savage a few months ago. All loaded with LEE rifle dies on an RCBS single stage press.

I see no issue with Lee dies and think they are the absolute best bang for anyones buck. In fact the ONLY dies I can see justifying the extra bread for is Redding competition dies. Theres simply nothing better than redding IMO.

Attached Files:

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The only neck size die I have from Lee is one for 30.06 and I like it just fine. I don't particularly like the collet style but they do work.

Josh, those are some good looking loads for that old beat up M1 you own!!
  10. American Leader

Loaded a 100 rounds of your bullets George and they are just as pretty as Josh's only they don't have those little red nipples!:eek:
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like nipples. :)
  12. American Leader

Josh, remember the last time this happened? Everyone started posting about nipples!
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with little red nipples!!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ha ha yeah. and we ran off a member from the chatroom..
  15. American Leader

I'm hittin the ole F__t sac you guy's enjoy your evening!LOL And I most certainly remember!