The Firearms Forum banner

Lee Electric Melting Pots

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  jack404 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am looking at the Lee Electric Melting pots. Here is the link.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/electric-melters-or-furnaces/

I see Lee makes the 10lb capacity pots, and the 20lb capacity pots. I was going to go with the 10lb but the I saw the 20lb and thought I would see what you guys think.

Also, for my first mold I am wanting to cast .45 acp. I will be casting primarily for plinking and hunting rabbits and shooting whistle pigs. Which mold should I start with?

I am thinking of going with the 45.acp .127, 452-200-SWC, double mold cavity, product number 90348. Here is the link to the product, what do you guys think?

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/

I have about 500 pounds of lead which will make my shooting cheap. Thanks alot guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't. I had a bad experience with a long-nosed SWC and feeding in one of my guns. If you are stuck on a 200 grain SWC, I'd go with the TL, 90463. Shorter nose. But truthfully, I'd pick the 230 TC, 90287. You still got the flat point, which will make it a better killer than a round nose. But you got more weight. Being a disciple of Elmer, I'm a firm believer in more weight.

#3 ·
I wouldn't. I had a bad experience with a long-nosed SWC and feeding in one of my guns. If you are stuck on a 200 grain SWC, I'd go with the TL, 90463. Shorter nose. But truthfully, I'd pick the 230 TC, 90287. You still got the flat point, which will make it a better killer than a round nose. But you got more weight. Being a disciple of Elmer, I'm a firm believer in more weight.
Ya, I understand the "more weight" thing and am also an Elmer Keith believer. I felt that 185gr was much too light and will certainly take the advice on the 230gr. That 90287 is a nice bullet and it would be a good "Slow Train" to send down path.

Thanks Alpo.

#6 ·
My 20 pound Lee pot has been a trusty companion since the early 80's, and I cast mostly .45 ACP. I have used the Lee 230 gr LRN mold a lot, while it is an aluminum mold, it casts 6 at a time and works fine for me. I also quit using my 50 year old Lyman swager/luber, and bought the Lee. It works well, easier to use than the old Lyman (which probably needs a new owner, perhaps I can make it something one of the members might want as one of the monthly prizes, it's old, still works too.)

#7 ·
I also had a lot of dripping problems with the 10 lb pot but I still used it for 30 or so years. A couple of years ago I bought myself a new 20 lb pot (it was on sale) and really like it. I haven't gotten used to the way it pours yet, but I'm sure I will. It seems to pour out a little faster than the old pot, but then you do have 10 more pounds of molten lead pushing it!!

I would also recommend the 230 grain round nose mold. I think I have about a dozen molds, every thing from .380 up to .45/70.

I gave the 10 lb pot to one of the members here and as far as I know he is still using it.

#8 ·
My 20 pound Lee pot has been a trusty companion since the early 80's, and I cast mostly .45 ACP. I have used the Lee 230 gr LRN mold a lot, while it is an aluminum mold, it casts 6 at a time and works fine for me. I also quit using my 50 year old Lyman swager/luber, and bought the Lee. It works well, easier to use than the old Lyman (which probably needs a new owner, perhaps I can make it something one of the members might want as one of the monthly prizes, it's old, still works too.)
Thank you Clipper.

#9 ·
I also had a lot of dripping problems with the 10 lb pot but I still used it for 30 or so years. A couple of years ago I bought myself a new 20 lb pot (it was on sale) and really like it. I haven't gotten used to the way it pours yet, but I'm sure I will. It seems to pour out a little faster than the old pot, but then you do have 10 more pounds of molten lead pushing it!!

I would also recommend the 230 grain round nose mold. I think I have about a dozen molds, every thing from .380 up to .45/70.

I gave the 10 lb pot to one of the members here and as far as I know he is still using it.
Thanks moody. All this is awesome info.

#10 ·
I had the Lee production pot 4. the one with the bottom pour spout. Casted alot of bullets before growing tired of casting and sold it all to Bluesea112, whos still using it today..

#11 · (Edited)
I use that same Lee 20 pound pot. I think it's a great pot. I had a lot of drip problems with the 10 pound pot ( didn't bother me much ) and so far no drips with the 20 pound pot.
I agree with ya on that on. And for the few dollars more you will like the 20#. I use that one the most when doing 45's do to the fact that 45's use lots of lead. the 10# just dont seem to keep up with a 6 gang mold. You will find out that you will spend more time wating for lead to melt then in the 20#. I do have 2 10# pots as well but when i sit to do the lead casting i will do about 4-6 hours at a time and i will use all 3 of them in rotation. the first 10# i will empty then fill and move to the 2nd 10# empty then refill and by the time i get to empting the 20# the 2 10# ones are ready to pore. I do sell cast lead bullets to a few friends Because they just dont want to get into the casting and spending the money. As the casting grew i bought more pots. And while i was layedoff thats how i kept the family going.

#12 · (Edited)
Clipper is right about the Lee resizer/lube thingie. They are cheap and work very well. I have an old RCBS sizer/lubricator that I use for most of my cast bullets but the entire lee set up is much cheaper than one die and top punch for the RCBS.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-452-diameter

EDIT: highboy, MidwayUSA is about $30 cheaper than the link you show for the 20 lb pot.,

#14 ·
I have the 20 lb pot. It leaks a bit but it's really not a big deal. For the price, it's an excellent pot.

LEE makes some good stuff, you just have to pick and choose what you want, or what will work for you. I have quite a few LEE moulds. I have learned how to use them and I get great results with them.

#15 ·
Go with the 20 lb. pot. You don't want to have to stop and refill the pot once you are on a roll ang makin' good boolits! For a new caster, I'd suggest going with a 2 cavity mold of a tried and true bullet shape/weight. Lyman makes a great mold; 225 gr. RN and mine drops at .452". Lee has a good 230 gr. T/C mold and if you wanna try tumble lubing (really easy ond not much equipment needed) try the Lee 452TL-230-2R. I've cast and shot the above bullets in my RIA 1911 and Ruger P90 and both guns gobbled them up...

#16 ·
I have the 10lb it's about 11 years old now, it is adequate but I would prefer the larger next time I purchase a furnace.

here's my beat up (and recently modified) pot:

Also agreed with sticking with 230gn bullets for .45 for a couple reasons, most important to me is that I've never gotten 200 grainers to cycle reliably in either cast or jacketed. I have Lee's double cavity truncated cone 230gn, excellent bullet! Casts well, loads well and functions perfect, pretty accurate too. I broke it two weeks ago though, need to buy another...

#17 ·
I use my Lee 10# electric pot for casting 158 gr LSWC's in .358. I love it. I keep it full by dropping in ingots as I cast. I use two Lee six cavity molds, and water drop to speed up the process. It keeps up with me just fine, if I don't let it get low.

I'll cast a thousand or more at a time. I only have to cast five or six times a year. Now, being one of those times.:rolleyes:

#18 ·
Wow guys, thanks for the advice I really appreciate every bit of it. My birthday is in August and I am hoping to see a really nice melting pot in a box, and if there's a bow on the box that's fine too.

Once again all the input is appreciated.

#21 ·
highboy,
my lyman 10# pot, steel moulds and rcbs sizer/lubricator were idled in favor of the a 20# pot, aluminum moulds, liquid alox and lee's bullet sizer dies (when needed).

a couple of tricks i learned: add weight to the pot's metering rod to reduce dripping...i use a small pair of vise grips; wire the metering rod to the lifter so adjustment screw doesn't jump the detent; use 2 cycle motor oil (sparingly) on the underside of mould sprueplates to prevent lead build-up and subsequent galling of the mould's top.

i like lee's tumble lube designs...no sizing and every one i've used is accurate.

#22 ·
highboy,
my lyman 10# pot, steel moulds and rcbs sizer/lubricator were idled in favor of the a 20# pot, aluminum moulds, liquid alox and lee's bullet sizer dies (when needed).

a couple of tricks i learned: add weight to the pot's metering rod to reduce dripping...i use a small pair of vise grips; wire the metering rod to the lifter so adjustment screw doesn't jump the detent; use 2 cycle motor oil (sparingly) on the underside of mould sprueplates to prevent lead build-up and subsequent galling of the mould's top.

i like lee's tumble lube designs...no sizing and every one i've used is accurate.
the 2cycle oil works great,,, just make sure it is synthetic, as petroleum base will smoke and gum up if the dies get too warm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.