1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Lee Enfield NO.4 MK1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by streetbob, Mar 5, 2013.

1. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Hey guys,

I just recently was given by my boss a Lee Enfield NO.4 MK1 303 British that I am trying to gather all the info about. The serial number is DA22567A, above the serial number it says NO.4 MK1 F (FTR) that is all the markings I can really see on the gun and I was wondering what year the rifle was made, the model it is, & how much it is worth? The gun itself is in very good condition.

Attached Files:

2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

The F FTR marking indicates Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley, and Factory Thorough Repair. There should be a date of manufacture on the left side of the receiver bucket - into which the buttstock is fitted.
  3. Sundial

Sundial New Member

Interesting to see that the rifle was given.

Over here, the laws are so strict, I can not even give my son a rifle. It has to be brokered by a gunshop.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

some ( many? ) states allow the private sale ( gift ) of a firearm between adult members of that state, providing a few criteria are met. IE.. seller/giver has no information indicatin gthe buyer is a felon.. etc.. etc..
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I just bought one that has been sporterized and am waiting for it to arrive. It shipped today. I don't think I would modify the one you have - I'd hunt with it as is. Advanced Technology International makes a scope mount you can put on the rifle with no gunsmithing - here's a link to them on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Technology-International-Enfield-Scope/dp/B000OFKFWE

By doing it this way you get to preserve the entire original rifle so that it keeps it's value as an original military .303. Granted, it'll weigh a couple extra pounds with the original stock vs. a sporterized stock but the trade off is that it stays original and you still can have a scope on it.
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with Mr. Smith. Enfields, along with Mausers, Springfields, and virtually all of the classic military rifles of WW1 & 2 are becoming increasingly scarce, and expensive. The .303 British is an impressive target and hunting cartridge, and I think you'll appreciate the few extra pounds of the rifle in its original configuration. The ATI scope mount will enable you to scope the rifle with no drilling & tapping or bolt alteration, and if you ever decide to return it to original spec it's simply a matter of removing the mount and reinstalling the factory rear sight. My deer rifle, incidentally, is an Enfield .303. They're really great rifles.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. jdh6465

jdh6465 New Member

Correct me if i'm wrong folks. When my FIL passed, we inherited a Lee Enfield NO.5 MK1. When I was looking around for information, I found that do to the popularity of sniper rifles, there were several "fakes" out there. I will try to go back and find out where I found the what to check for I believe there were 3 things to check to see if it is real or not. Maybe somebody else know off the top of their head what to look for.
  8. jdh6465

jdh6465 New Member

also, does the magazine have the same serial number as the rifle?
  9. jdh6465

jdh6465 New Member

10. AllAboutEnfields

AllAboutEnfields New Member

thanks for the kind words about www.aboutenfields.co.nz

if you are still after things to look for in a No5 to make sure you are on the real Mckoy then here are a couple, look at the scollops in the barrel where it joins the reciever, look to see if the bolt handle has the hollowed out knob and check to see if it has the correct rear sight.

oww and please, the No5 was never issued as a snipers rifle, but there are a few fake No4's made to look as if they were a No5

cheers

Mark
  11. rjwnz

rjwnz New Member

I'm also a fan of all about enfields, great site, cheers
  12. rjwnz

rjwnz New Member

13. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

The No 5 was the Jungle Carbine, a shortened version of the No 4. They were made for the paratroopers and for the jungle troops with the concept of the shorter barrel being more maneuverable in the jungles and easier for paratroopers to jump with.

The soldiers weren't a great fan of the No. 5 since it lacked the accuracy of the No. 4 models.