lee 'hand loader'

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Nov 22, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone have and use one of those lee hand laoders. the style you don't mount to a bench, but rather squeeze together.

like it?

use standard dies and shell holders and whatnot?

do full size ammo like 30-06 or any of the larger stuff.. like 7mmmag.. etc?
  2. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I have one that I use on occassion, it will wear your hands out when full length sizing bigger cases like 30-06. It works good for straight wall pistol cases using carbide dies. It is a bit of a pain for seating bullets. I mainly use mine when I want to watch tv while depriming and sizing brass to throw in the tumbler, thats about it.
  3. racerham

racerham Member

That's the only press I have - and I like it alot. I use it for .380, 9mm, and .270, and it does just fine!

It will wear your hand out after a bit, as there is a trick to holding it (It really could use a better grip) but it's light, very portable, small enough to pack around (great for a bugout kit), and easy to use. It does full size .270 win with no problems, but as mentioned, you have to work to full length resize.

It uses ordinary dies and Lee shellholders, so nothing special needed there. If I was to decide to upgrade, I'd only need to buy the press.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had one for a while and finally gave it away to a young fellow who wanted to reload but didn't have the room to set up a bench. I am guessing that he still uses it. I used it mostly to de-prime and re-size. I did several hundred .40 S&W one time while I was waiting at a laundry-mat for some blankets to wash and dry. I got a lot of interesting looks and even more questions about what I was doing. You would be surprised how many young people did not know ammo could be reloaded.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think it would be handy to have on the tail gate to run experimental rounds on the fly while out shooting.
  6. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I have taken mine to the range in the past when when working up loads. I now have nice mount for my receiver hitch to hold a bench mounted press. Don't really use that much any longer either. It is a good little press for someone with little to no space.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Using your hitch is not a good idea? You need to use your hitch for a cup holder for your soda pop or your coffee. :D

Actually, using the hitch in that fashion is a good idea.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got one. I've resized 375 H&H with it, and bumped 243 up to 308. That took a little bit - you can't do it in one stroke - but it is doable. I've found that squeezing it between your knees (like using a thigh-master) helps with the heavy work.